Can no longer view Raspberry Pi in Windows 8.1 Network File Explorer

Hi. First time posting. When I was running Raspbmc on my Raspberry Pi, I could see the device on my Windows laptop and was able to drag/drop files as needed. Since upgrading to OSMC, the Raspberry Pi can no longer be accessed through Windows Network File Explorer. I can, however, still access my Windows network (SMB) from the Pi. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to fix this? Thank you.

The Samba server is not bundled like it was in Raspbmc to reduce bloat and boot time for those that don’t need it. In the next release there will be an option to install it via OSMC settings, in the meantime you can try the following to install it manually:

sudo apt-get install smb-app-osmc

Thanks for the quick response. When I enter that command I get the following: E: Unable to locate package smb-app-osmc. My Linux knowledge is limited to what I’ve learned by working with XBMC (now Kodi) on my Raspberry Pi. Can you tell me where to download smb-app-osmc and how to save it to my Pi so I can install it? Thanks again for your help - K.

You need to first issue this command

sudo apt-get update

Following it with the command @DBMandrake specified above. Then reboot the pi in a clean manner by running

sudo shutdown -r

Edit: @ActionA beat me to it :slight_smile:

If you never used apt-get on your osmc system before you need to run

sudo apt-get update

to get a cache of avalible packages.

Thanks for your patience with a newbie’s ignorance - it worked perfectly!!! :smile:

sorry, I forgot sudo apt-get update was necessary after a fresh install… :slight_smile:

Just the instructions I was looking for. Thanks to all.

Just for future reference: this is now installable via our App Store.