Cannot connect to university network using ethernet because of DHCP issues

Hey guys,

I have an Apple TV generation one with OSMC installed on it. I am trying to get it connected to the internet.

It seems the stock wireless adapter is not supported, so I cannot connect using WiFi. If this is not true, I would like to connect using WiFi, but I have not found a way to do that with OSMC.

So I have an ethernet cable connected to my Apple TV. I have registered it’s MAC address with my university network. I contacted support and they said they cannot help with linux based devices. They did tell me the problem probably involved DHCP problems between the network and my Apple TV.

This is what the support person told me:

So your device connects to the NU network through this process called Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP). In order to connect through the ethernet cable, your device needs to be configured to use DHCP. We have walkthroughs on our website to show you how to do this for Mac Operating Systems and Windows OS’, however your device is running on neither of the above (yours is a Linux based system). So if you can find how to configure your Apple TV to use DHCP on your Linux software, you may be good to go. We at NUIT can’t help with that however because the instructions aren’t in our repertoire.

and

I can’t say for sure that it CANNOT connect… I’m sure students on campus have discovered how to connect Linux based devices to our network before. I only know that we can’t guide you through the process.
But yes, you have to register for DHCP in order for your device to find the proper IP addresses using our network.
DHCP allows this to be done automatically

I am getting no internet access at the moment. Any ideas on how to connect to the network?

In MyOSMC network settings you should find that DHCP is enabled by default.

OSMC supports DHCP out of the box.

You can install WiFi support by running sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter. I will do this for the next update. However, for full benefit of an aTV1 you should use a CrystalHD card.

It did seem like DHCP was enabled, so I don’t know where the connection trouble is coming from then.

Can I install WiFi support without internet access? I can’t run that line without an ethernet connection, can I?

If you have a USB stick, download the Deb from

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/i386/b43-fwcutter/download

copy it to a USB, plug it in and run sudo dpkg -i on the Deb (found under /media). WiFi will also use DHCP however, it sounds like your universities network may be issuing a DHCP lease that our connection manager cannot parse.

Sigh, it doesn’t seem like I’m going to be able to connect. I haven’t had problems with our network before. Having a streaming device is kinda worthless if you can’t connect to the internet haha. Thanks for your help!

Our users haven’t really had any problems with DHCP before.

A log would probably help here. Our connection manager handles DHCP in accordance with RFC 2131, and seems to work well.

I’d suggest asking your IT department what DHCP server they use, and why they specifically say they cannot support Linux. WiFi would make sense, but I’m not sure why they can’t support a wired connection with Linux. You may have some luck sending them your MAC (available under System Info) and asking them if they have seen anything on their side.

There is good old dhcpdump which will show you if the lease is malformed.

Don’t give up @RealDiels if there is anyone who can get you working it is @sam_nazarko!

Couple of extra thoughts though that haven’t been mentioned yet:

1. You had to register the MAC address with the network team to be allowed to connect. It may be worth checking that you gave them the correct address and also that they typed the correct address at their side - it’s easy to mistype a MAC.

2. There have been issues with connman and dhcp in the past caused by malformed connman configs. You could try running sudo rm -rf /var/lib/connman/ethernet* amd rebooting with the ethernet cable connected. This should cause connman to create a new profile with the correct details.

3. Do you have any other devices? If so you could try capturing the dhcp reply packet on that device to see whether it is correctly formed. You could also try spoofing the MAC of your ATV device onto a known working device to prove that the network is indeed set to allow it’s MAC to connect.

Also, the ethernet adapter and the wifi adapter likely have different MAC address’. So giving them the address of the wifi adapter won’t result in the ethernet adapter being able to connect.

1 Like

It’s definitely possible that it was the wrong MAC address. Any clue how I can differentiate between the two? How do I run a terminal code on an Apple TV as well? I don’t have another useful device to connect with ethernet unfortunately.

Thank you for all of your help!

So I am now able to connect to the internet. Not sure exactly what changed, but I’m not complaining. I am not trying to connect to a shared folder on my laptop using Windows file sharing (smb). The folder shows up, but when I click on it, an error shows up that says “invalid argument.” I have seen on other sites that this can be an issue, but there seems to be no universal way to fix it.

Any clue how I can fix this error and connect to the shared folder? I can also start another thread on this topic if that would be more helpful.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information, including logs from you. Our wiki contains detailed steps for providing the relevant info we need to help you.