Cannot open Pi config on RPi B+

Nothing happens, just sits there. Logs show:

IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/home/kubkev/Documents/config.txt'

I would upload logs, but that is also broken - Script Failed ‘grablogs.py’

Steps to reproduce:

Install OSMC from latest NOOBS - at this point everything works as expected
Run Updates and let it do its thing - at this point, I can no longer get into config or log uploader

14:46:07 T:2741498912 NOTICE: config_tools.read_config received: pos0: /home/kubkev/Documents/config.txt
14:46:07 T:2741498912 ERROR: Exception in thread Thread-21:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py”, line 810, in __bootstrap_inner
self.run()
File “/usr/share/kodi/addons/service.osmc.settings/resources/lib/CompLogger.py”, line 61, in wrapper
func(*args, **kwargs)
File “/usr/share/kodi/addons/script.module.osmcsetting.pi/resources/osmc/OSMCSetting.py”, line 366, in run
self.populate_pi_settings_dict()
File “/usr/share/kodi/addons/service.osmc.settings/resources/lib/CompLogger.py”, line 71, in wrapper
result = func(*args, **kwargs)
File “/usr/share/kodi/addons/script.module.osmcsetting.pi/resources/osmc/OSMCSetting.py”, line 317, in populate_pi_settings_dict
self.config_settings = ct.read_config(self.test_config)
File “/usr/share/kodi/addons/service.osmc.settings/resources/lib/CompLogger.py”, line 71, in wrapper
result = func(*args, **kwargs)
File “/usr/share/kodi/addons/script.module.osmcsetting.pioverclock/resources/lib/config_tools.py”, line 106, in read_config
parser = grab_configtxt(config_location)
File “/usr/share/kodi/addons/script.module.osmcsetting.pioverclock/resources/lib/config_tools.py”, line 63, in grab_configtxt
with open(config_location,‘r’) as f:
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘/home/kubkev/Documents/config.txt’

Have brought this to the attention of the addon maintainer now

Sam

thanks Sam

14:49:45 T:2741498912 NOTICE: Thread LanguageInvoker start, auto delete: false
14:49:46 T:2741498912 NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<–
14:49:46 T:2741498912 WARNING: CPythonInvoker(8): Script invoked without an addon. Adding all addon modules installed to python path as fallback. This behaviour will be removed in future version.
14:49:46 T:2741498912 ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<–
- NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
Error Type: <type ‘exceptions.OSError’>
Error Contents: (12, ‘Cannot allocate memory’)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/share/kodi/addons/script.module.osmcsetting.logging/resources/lib/grablogs.py”, line 386, in
Main()
File “/usr/share/kodi/addons/script.module.osmcsetting.logging/resources/lib/grablogs.py”, line 115, in init
sets.get(key,{})‘function’
File “/usr/share/kodi/addons/script.module.osmcsetting.logging/resources/lib/grablogs.py”, line 249, in grab_osmc_packages
with os.popen(‘dpkg -l | grep osmc’) as f:
OSError: (12, ‘Cannot allocate memory’)
–>End of Python script error report<–

Can you check /boot/config.txt exists ?

Please also post the output of both:

cat /boot/cmdline.txt
cat /proc/cmdline

Also is the App Store working for you ?

Thanks

When did you install OSMC?

I have several installs of osmc, running on Pi2
Today, I found an old B+ in a drawer and thought I would build from scratch for the spare room
Downloaded latest NOOBS, installed RC3, ran updates. I couldnt get into Pi Config to enter my hardware encoder keys

Wiped the SD, started again.

Download NOOBS, enter Pi Config and entered keys.
Ran updates - couldn’t get into Pi config

/boot/config.txt is defintely there. (Because I was adding the decode keys when I noticed this, I specifically checked it was there in case that was the cause of the problems)

/boot/cmdline.txt

root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait quiet osmcdev=rbp1

/proc/cmdline

dma.dmachans=0x7f35 bcm2708_fb.fbwidth=1920 bcm2708_fb.fbheight=1080 bcm2708.boardrev=0x10 bcm2708.serial=0x26c3e994 smsc95xx.macaddr=B8:27:EB:C3:E9:94 bcm2708_fb.fbswap=1 bcm2708.disk_led_gpio=47 bcm2708.disk_led_active_low=0 sdhci-bcm2708.emmc_clock_freq=250000000 vc_mem.mem_base=0x1ec00000 vc_mem.mem_size=0x20000000 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait quiet osmcdev=rbp1

Is your Pi a 256MB or 512MB model ? It seems to be running out of memory above…

I can’t reproduce your problem on a 512MB model, and I have done a fresh Noobs install and updated it.

Please make sure you have debug mode enabled in Kodi, reboot, then try to reproduce the problem with Pi settings and the log uploader, then upload your kodi log and system journal using the paste-log command:

sudo journalctl | paste-log
paste-log /home/osmc/.kodi/temp/kodi.log

The log snippets you posted earlier don’t provide enough context.

You should have a swap file. Can you post free -m?

Sam

thanks guys, at work at the moment so will post later

DBMandrake - its a B+ with 512MB

Any additional services running in the background?

Sam

Only what is there out of the box. This is literally a clean install

OK, been playing about with this some more and now I can’t recreate it! after re-install number 4 and 5, it seems stable again. Not sure what has changed (nothing) but I can’t seem to recreate the issue

Maybe I am just expecting too much from the B+.

I have a large remote MySQL database containing over 1800 movies, 300 Series and 25000 music tracks and my three Pi2s nail it easily (even with Aeon Nox on top of them with lots of add-ons)

The B+ is noticeably slower (even just timing the installation is 40% slower) which is obviously to be expected, but I don’t think it will handle everything else I wanted to install on it

There has been an update to the OSMC settings addon released today, however no changes were made that should affect the Pi config module.

You say you have a large database, I don’t suppose you were trying to do a database scan at the same time that you were going into the Pi config module ?

There is a large difference in performance between a Pi 1 and Pi 2 that’s for sure. I do nearly all my testing and development on the Pi 2 now, and when I have to boot the Pi 1 (I have two of them) to test compatibility with the Pi 1 I can’t get back to the Pi 2 quickly enough, it’s that different. :slight_smile: