Cannot update package (unknown package)

hello people

been running raspbmc and now osmc for a few years now on a rpi 1 model b… fairly vanilla, 2-3 addons, was masquerading eth through wlan previously for sky catch-up, but havent since fresh osmc install maybe 2-3 months ago… again, very basic set-up, no real issues ever

however, after electing to install updates this morning, the gui drops to the blue update screen and then fails with the subject message and restarts in 30 secs… after reading similar posts, i attempted sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -f dist-upgrade but was getting a segmentation fault on the first package… i let it continue to run but wireless died and i was booted from ssh… then the screen went black and i went and done the dishes… returned to find the screen still black, no wireless (have a small led on the dongle) but no activity on the pi at all… cold booted and somewhat surprisingly it came back up but got a further error when building skin shortcuts… tested an addon and the system seems to work ok and tried the dist-upgrade again but same initial seg fault… ctrl-c’d out of fear and thought id create this post and include all logs

http://paste.osmc.io/wiwuvofeve
http://paste.osmc.io/owivogivex
http://paste.osmc.io/befihasija

would appreciate any help, and thanks for all the great work!

last log

http://paste.osmc.io/udibuwepeh

cheers :smiley:

To be honest this is a bit a shot in the dark as your issue could be caused by many reasons. But one possibility is that your SD card has an incompatibility problem with the sdhost driver that has been activated with the latest update as discussed e.g. here Not booting after December update - #50 by Mandragore

As mentioned not 100% sure if that is the reason and also which exact status your system is in but maybe you try to download the mmc overlay and at dtoverlay=mmc to /boot/config.txt as discussed in that thread

thanks for coming back to me @fzinken - however, havent even been able to apply the update and reading through that thread, it looks like an applied update and problems upon reboot… do the included logs suggest this might be the issue?

i did defer the update a few times…

happy to give it a shot if you think it is worth it though?

It’s not 100% clear out of the logs but it might be that the early part of the december update proceeded.
Can you post what uname -a says

Linux osmc-murog 4.3.0-10-osmc #1 PREEMPT Sun Nov 29 17:03:54 UTC 2015 armv6l GNU/Linux

:slight_smile:

Ok, than you should be on the November Kernel still.
One last crosscheck to exclude sdhost as the culprit.
dmesg | grep sdhost should return empty

aye… nothing returned… cheers

Ok, than we at least know it is not the sdhost issue.
But something else seems to have been broken, hope someone else can pick it up from your log files.

cool… thanks for the suggestions man… really strange as such a basic set-up and zero issues for years…

fingers crossed :slight_smile:

I see the segmentation faults in your apt term.log:

Preparing to unpack .../rbp1-image-4.3.3-2-osmc_2_armhf.deb ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/rbp1-image-4.3.3-2-osmc_2_armhf.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess new pre-installation script was killed by signal (Segmentation fault)
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess new post-removal script was killed by signal (Segmentation fault)
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/rbp1-image-4.3.3-2-osmc_2_armhf.deb

In thousands of forum posts we haven’t had one instance of Segmentation fault during the upgrade process so to be perfectly honest I don’t have a clue what might be causing that.

If you have a high overclock you could try dropping back to normal and trying again, however if that does not work chances are there is file system corruption or that your sd card is dying.

So you might want to back up anything critical and do a fresh install, and if you continue to have problems with a fresh install try another SD card.

aye man… been trying a few things, dpkg --audit / apt-get clean, amongst others but just kept ending up full circle :confused:

had another sd card and installed and working fine at the moment… no overclock but the original sd card isnt new… could just be that :slightly_smiling:

thanks again for all pointers and suggestions… and osmc itself… kinda wanted to make a wee resolution to get move involved, either with addons or the distro or both… im prolly a mid-level programmer; lots of web stuff, delphi applications in work production, comfy in the terminal, linux user, dabbled in python, etc… any suggestions how i could take a step, things to read, community collab, etc?

oh, and a happy new year to you @fzinken @DBMandrake and all :smiley:

what sd card were you using. I can’t fix your issue but people have had a lot of issues with transcend lately

sandisk @cliffbrowning84 but i think we ruled that our earlier in the thread… also, the card i have reinstalled on and am enjoying just now is exactly the same, bought at the same time for just such an eventuality :slightly_smiling:

cheers!

I got this error for 3 release now.
But after a rebbot, the good version is installed.