Can't access Vero 4K/OSMC from Windows

I think he’s abed. Maybe I goofed telling him to wipe smb.conf.

Can you confirm if you installed SMB Server via the App Store?

Removing Samba would have removed smb-app-osmc as well.

Can you upload logs again so we can have a picture of what’s going on?

Morning guys,

Ran no issue, returned to prompt. Then I again tried sudo apt-get install samba … Same error (0 B of additional disk space will be used) so I aborted. Also tried to install via the Appstore, but same issue as previously.

Yup. Initial install was from the Appstore when first setting the new Vero 4K up. No tweaking to SMB server since then, and as I said it was working perfectly up until I tried to access earlier this week.

The only significant thing I can remember doing recently was the Stretch upgrade (the day after it was launched), which didn’t give me any errors (I can’t remember if I was able to successfully access the osmc share since I upgraded, but I don’t think I did) . The only other activity I’ve done recently was setting up fstab shares, and installing the backup addon linked to Dropbox.

Here you go: https://paste.osmc.tv/eviyugitaj

Thanks for clarifying.

I think the problem is:

/usr/bin/apt-get-real install samba

Can you try:

sudo apt-get install smb-app-osmc

I’m in the process of getting a Win10 VM up with latest updates. Currently Win10 doesn’t seem to boot properly on VirtualBox here on my laptop.

I’m at work now (early starter) … I’ll try and do this via logmein. Bear with me …

Don’t worry. I need to get some sleep shortly; so can look at this a bit later.

I do appreciate your patience here.

Something is wrong if we are 77 posts deep without a solution.
We will get it fixed, don’t worry.

That seemed to be doing more; at least it was trying to install something. But, still resulted in errors, see logs. __

https://paste.osmc.tv/ifogixetac.vhdl

No worries. I’m still able to watch media, and that’s the main thing. Appreciate alll your support, which is second to none. Have a good rest and catch up this evening.

I’ll try and reproduce this locally tomorrow so that I can try a few things before providing any advice. I should have enough to go on now.

Sam

This might be a long shot, but try this:

$ sudo apt-get remove --purge samba
$ sudo apt install smb-app-osmc

(And please paste the output here)

I’m wondering that by installing samba instead of smb-app-osmc that something was missed…

Oh, I almost forgot, please run these commands and paste the output here:

$ ls -l /etc/systemd/system
$ ls -l /etc/samba

Well, I noticed this line in the log, no idea whether it has to do with the issue

Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/nmbd.service → /lib/systemd/system/nmbd.service.

So, where do these alien chars “→” come from? (Log located in post #75)

Thats a bit strange. Let’s check if it is also somewhere else. Post grab-logs -a -J -K

So you never tested whether the unmask would have fixed the error I highlighted.

Sorry, I might have misunderstood; what steps would you recommend in order to test this, in the way you were intending?

It’s quite a long thread and has morphed a bit over time, but it looks like you had some samba issues and it was suggested that you purge the samba package. which you did.

On trying to reinstall samba, you hit an error:

Failed to preset unit: Unit file /etc/systemd/system/samba-ad-dc.service is masked.

which is what I highlighted. So the logical step in such a situation is to try to remove the roadblock and repeat the process. You decided to abort the process on the basis of what seems to be an unrelated message, so the process wasn’t repeated. I have no idea why samba-ad-dc.service is masked but it’s likely to be a legacy from a previous install.

Right, got it! Sorry about that … I’ll follow through and see what happens (along with the other suggestions since this morning) once I get home from work. Thanks for the additional pointers!

Hi @brifletch,

pls try on the windows machine windows + r, regedit, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters \AllowInsecureGuestAuth and set it from 0 to 1. Did the trick with my win10 clients and samba.

cu

1 Like

Thanks @kid63, but I can connect to other devices on the network from the Win 10 PC (but not to the Vero 4K from the other devices). Not sure this will help (but anything is worth a shot right now!)

Ok, sorry, then i’ve misunderstood, thought it’s the win10 machine. :wink:

cu

1 Like

Could you provide the both URLs for

env | paste-log
sudo env | paste-log

logged in as osmc user?

I’m still not convinced that these funny symbols in your log are independent from the root cause, see post #82.

I purged and reinstalled samba and smb-app-osmc and the error message also occurred, so I think we can probably treat it as being harmless.

It looks like there might be a similar issue in another thread: Update fail due to samba, now samba is down, also with strange characters in the log.