Can't connect to a folder on external hard drive connected to my RPi from Windows

Hi all,

I have an external hard drive connected to my Raspberry Pi. I would like to transfer files to it or download to it from a Windows computer. I sort of followed the directions at http://www.howtogeek.com/139433/how-to-turn-a-raspberry-pi-into-a-low-power-network-storage-device/

If I access the RPi from Windows using the IP address I see two folders - osmc and HDD. HDD is the external hard drive. osmc is located at /home/osmc and I can access it without entering a user name or password.

HDD is located at /media/HDD and it asks for a user name and password. If I use the user name and password I set up it doesn’t accept it.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Did you try name:osmc pw:osmc?

Did you install the samba server manually or from the App Store?

I did install the samba server manually using Putty and set the user name and password both as osmc. That is what I log in with using Putty but it doesn’t work from Windows trying to access HDD. osmc from Windows does not ask for a user name and password.

Ok, maybe you wanna unsinstall samba and remove all configurations from /etc/samba and just install it from the App Store much more fool proof