Can't get my Vero4K+ above 100Mb/s ethernet speed

Hello, I am sure there is Something I missed here :wink:

I have just replaced my old Netgear 10/100Mb switch by a brand new Tenda SG108 10/10/1000Mb one, to get gigabit speed between my server and the Vero4K+.
But I canā€™t manage to have my Vero4K+ negociate 1000Mb speedā€¦

Here is what I see when checking the link.

osmc@Vero4K:~$ sudo ethtool eth0 | grep Speed
        Speed: 100Mb/s
osmc@Vero4K:~$ sudo ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
        Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Link partner advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
        Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
        Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 100Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: MII
        PHYAD: 0
        Transceiver: external
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Supports Wake-on: ug
        Wake-on: d
        Current message level: 0x0000003d (61)
                               drv link timer ifdown ifup
        Link detected: yes
osmc@Vero4K:~$ uname -a
Linux Vero4K 3.14.29-156-osmc #1 SMP Tue Oct 15 20:21:25 UTC 2019 aarch64 GNU/Linux
osmc@Vero4K:~$ 

Obviously the Vero could achieve 1000BaseT, but for a reason negociation is stuck at 100BaseT.
I am using a 2meter CAT5e cable from Vero4K+ to the switch. Can this be my problem, must I get a Cat6 or 7 one ?

My desktop on the same switch with a new 15meter Cat7 cable was immediately renegociated at 1000Mb/s full duplexā€¦

Thanks a lot for any advice !

PS/ I read a very long post on the forum about some faulty boxes in 2018 and/or erratic performance in the 300/500Mbs, but it is closed now. And my case is probably more some stupid configuration stuff on me as I donā€™t even get pass 100BaseTā€¦

Try trading the Cat7 cable just to test it on the Vero.

As far as the Vero4K+ is concerned, the router is only advertising 100baseT/Full.

Perhaps a cable problem.

The faulty units have been dealt with and only affected a small number of units. They would negotiate at 1Gbit, but would get very poor performance in the TX direction.

All devices are tested before dispatch with an iperf3 test.

Iā€™d try another cable and also reboot the switch. Sometimes my switch falls down to 100Mbps and the only solution is a reset.

Thanks a lot for such prompt answers!
A bit difficult to use my existing Cat7 cable (already routedā€¦).
What I tried is with another 5e I had Handy, and also plug it directly on one free ADSL router slot instaed of the switch, but no luck.
Iā€™ll try asap with a brand new cable and report back.

Try rebooting the switch / router.

It is entirely possible that $15 does not buy the highest quality eight port switch on the market. Iā€™ve had very good luck with the TP-Link brand that donā€™t cost much more when I need something cheap. Regarding the category of the cable on a gigabit connection two meters long there is no benefit to anything more than Cat 5. It is entirely possible that you have a bad cable, but it being ā€œonlyā€ cat 5e for gigabit is not the problem.

1 Like

So rebooting the switch did not solve it, but I managed to divert the Cat7 cable for a quick test (I know, CAT7 is a bit overkillā€¦) and Bingo ! all fine, the box immediately negociate at gigabit :smile:
So I guess I just had a couple of very poor 5e cables. The Vero4K+ was not the problem here.
Iā€™ll get a new cable and hopefully it should do the trick!
Thanks again for all advices

1 Like

Glad to hear a new cable solved this.

Confirming : new Cat6 cable installed yesterday and everything is fine, detected 1000BaseT end to end. Thx!

1 Like