Can't get through a movie

What I posted before should work on the Synology (you would need to adjust the path).

dd if=/file/to/test of=/dev/null status=progress

i picked a more lightweight movie and it’s copying…where is it copying to exactly?

/dev/null is… well no where. It’s a good test to read from the drive without using memory or another drive, so shows the read performance of a drive (or in your case RAID).

I assume this is fine?

That seems a little slow to me. On my Linux Mint system, this is what I get with a USB3 drive:

46651491328 bytes (47 GB, 43 GiB) copied, 260.203 s, 179 MB/s

But, try the test now from the Vero. You should see around the same MB/s that you saw with iperf. And use the same file for the test.

Ok. Slow enough to cause the issues i’m having? Signaling a drive issue?

use the same path or use /mnt/…

I’m not sure if it’s the problem, but to me a RAID should be much faster than that. It’s not really much faster than a 100M network connection @ 94M

You will need to use the /mnt path. And I just thought, don’t use the same file, but pick another one around the same size as the previous test can buffer results in memory.

looks like it froze…numbers started off low and were climbing slowly then stopped

** now its going again **

Now that very interesting. It would explain why the movies are not playing.

I think you need to do more testing. Try some more dd tests on the NAS. Use some larger 4K movies.

And run a longer iperf test from the Vero. Run for 30 or more minutes.

Maybe try SMB instead of NFS just for testing purpose. Shouldn’t be too hard with your autofs setup.

Yeah. This way is much slower then the other way. It’s crawling. Ok I’ll do longer testing.

@fzinken I will test this as well. Tomorrow though 2am here and throwing in the towel for now. Thanks for all the help guys. I’ll report back tomorrow

You did say that you have several Veros with the same problem? You could try downgrading one of them to the official release as a test, but I really think that there’s something else going on here.

Wimp… It’s 2:23AM here and I’m still going :smile_cat:

Ha. How do i switch to samba quickly via autofs? I just setup autofs and switched from fstab to test and obvs no diff

Autofs and fstab will perform exactly the same as they use the same underlying mount method. The advantage if autofs is that it handles server reboots better than fstab. So you could just do a quick fstab SMB mount for a test.

I just had a thought for a very interesting test.

Do a dd test of a file locally from the Syno.

At the same time, do a dd test of another file from the Vero.

If the Vero dd stalls, does the Syno dd also stall around the same time?

trying to get samba to work first. Is this right because its not working?

/mnt/movies -fstype=cifs,rw,credentials=/home/osmc/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,uid=osmc,gid=osmc ://192.168.0.107/volume1/web/movies1/

That looks OK, assuming that your .smbcredentials is OK, and the mount path is correct. You may also need to specify the SMB version.

I would prefer to see you do what I just thought of, and do the simultaneous dd test first.

vero one crapped out