Can't get WiFi to Ethernet tethering working

Hi, I’m trying to get WiFi to Ethernet tethering working on a clean build of 2015.06-1 on a Pi 2.

My wireless router is 192.168.0.1 and issues IP address in the 0.x range via DHCP.

OSMC connects to the WiFi with no problems.

But when I connect a device (e.g. a laptop) to its Ethernet port (after enabling WiFi to Ethernet tethering), it’s assigned 192.168.1.2 (subnet 255.255.255.0 dns 192.168.1.1 default route 192.168.1.1). It appears that the Pi’s Ethernet port has 192.168.1.1 bound to it.

Problem is that I can’t access the Internet from the laptop. I’ve tried changing it’s IP address / DNS / default route to the 0.x range, but I can’t see anything on this network.

I know that the Pi and its WiFi adapter (Realtek 8188CU based) support bridging as I’ve successfully configured it using Raspbian and bridge-utils. But I want to use OSMC and I understand it handles networking differently.

Any ideas?

Possibly a dns issue.

Try editing the file /etc/conman.prefs and change dns proxy to yes then reboot.

Let us know if that works - if it does, it’s a known bug that we are looking to resolve.

(Another workaround would be to manually assign your DNS on the client device to a known good DNS server)

Yes - it worked! Thank you!

Hi,

which wifi dongle are you using?

I’ve been trying forever to find a stable solution to do tethering.

Thanks

It’s just the one that came with this kit:
http://www.vilros.com/raspberry-pi/raspberry-pi-kits/raspberry-pi-2-model-b-1gb-complete-starter-kit-includes-raspberry-pi-2-model-b-quick-start-guide-clear-case-power-supply-wifi-dongle-kingston-8gb-micro-sd-card-and-adapter-hdmi-cable-and-heatsink.html

just realized you do wifi to ethernet tethering, I need the other way around… thanks anyway

Yes, wifi to Ethernet Tethering works with all wireless adaptors.

Ethernet to Wifi Tethering requires specific support from the wifi adaptor driver for AP mode using nl80211 - unfortunately many wireless drivers do not provide this, thus they don’t support this type of Tethering.