Can't login to root account using SFTP

Hi all,

I’m having a problem with SFTP access & can’t find an answer anywhere.

I have a Raspberry Pi B+ & during the October OSMC update my SD card got corrupted & I’ve had to reinstall OSMC.

I’m trying to copy some files over SFTP which I can’t do with the OSMC standard user account.

I have enabled the root account & can log into it using SSH.

However I cannot login into the root account with either Filezilla or WinSCP using the correct IP/login details.

It only affects this Pi & can log in to all other Pi’s on my network.

I had no problem accessing the root account using Filezilla on this Pi before reinstalling.

Anybody have any ideas what is causing my issue?

Which details?

OSMC does not have an activated root account and never has. Please see the Wiki documentation on this: Usernames and passwords - General - OSMC.

Hi Sam,

Have attached a screen print

Enabled the root username is what I meant, as described in your attached wiki link.

I used to be able to log in & alter files, for example I have an advancedsettings.xml file which is common across all Pi’s.

But for some reason unbeknownst to me I can no longer log in to the root user & I cannot add or modify any files using the OSMC/OSMC login using SFTP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OSMC and Raspbmc (its predecessor) have never had a root account enabled by default. You must be using a different OS or have enabled it manually.

The link in my last post will show you how to enable root access.

advancedsettings should be set in /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata which is writable by the OSMC user and does not need root access.

Sam

Indeed. There are no Kodi configuration files that need root access to modify. You should not modify any of the Kodi system files under /usr/share/kodi - but rather edit or create their equivalent version under /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/ which are all owned by the osmc user. One reason to do so is so that your changes aren’t all lost the next time we push out a Kodi update.

Thanks Sam & DBMandrake for your help.

After a eureka moment, I took to ‘cheating’ & cloned 1 of the other Pi’s SD cards & after a few minor changes all is back as it was.

Hey guys!
I would like to set up my RPi3 with IR and OSMC.
I got no chance to access the files on the RPi3. I have no root access and tried already huge things i have read here in the forum.
Sudo -s also not works. What am I doing wrong?

Have you read and followed the wiki?

Not sure why you need root access for that can all be done via MyOSMC

1 Like

Thanks, made it!