Can't See Over Network

OK probably doing something stupid here but, two problems

New Vero4K+, installed ‘Samba (SMB) Server’.

Plugged in a USB hard drive (tried flash drive too), and can play video files from it no problems.

Problem 1
I cannot see this USB drive from my network PCs.
The Vero box shows as a Media Device on both PCs (1x Win10, 1x Win7) but does not show as a computer I can navigate to and see what’s connected.

Problem 2
I cannot see any of my shared PC drives from the Vero box.

I can control the Vero box via it’s IP address so it’s on the network OK.

Any ideas?

If with “see” you mean browse for it this function has been disabled for security reasons after SMB1. If you still want to use it you need to enable it under Settings - > Services - > SMB Client - > Max Protocol - > SMB1

Let us first check on the Vero if all is good, please upload logs

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

OK enabled logging and tried to connect to a server address on my network, got message
“Couldn’t retrieve directory information. This Could be due to the network not being connected. Would you like to add it anyway?”
Log is uploaded to https://paste.osmc.tv/ehafokecaj
I get the same error even connecting to a machine that can connect in to the Vero box (see below).

I also tried connecting back the other way from networked computers and got the following:
Connecting to Vero4k+
connecting to a Samsung Drive mounted to the OSMC

• server name - \osmc\samsung
  • user/pass - osmc / osmc (defaults)

Laptop Windows10 Home - 32bit - SUCCESS
AMD Server Windows7 Ultimate - 64bit - FAIL (Network Error - Cant find OSMC)
MainPC Windows10 Pro - 64bit - SUCCESS
Backup Server Windows10 Pro - 64bit - FAIL (Network Error - Cant find OSMC)

As I said I’m probably doing something wrong which until now has sort of worked, is there an idiots guide to setting up network shares around that’ll walk me through this properly?

That you get different results from different client could point to the fact that the different Windows versions may or may not have SMB1 still enabled.
Also it is more reliable to use the IP Address instead of the Name (unless you have a proper DNS setup).

For the path from OSMC to the Server the only other thing I can recommend is autofs mounting.

A way off the wall guess here, but your password wouldn’t happen to have either a ( or a ) in it, would it??

A way off the wall guess here, but your password wouldn’t happen to have either a ( or a ) in it, would it??

Way to cause panic … I’m suddenly thinking that the uploads I made included passwords within the logs, OK they don’t but … I also misread your post as saying the password contains an ‘a’ rather than a ‘(’ or a ‘)’. But anyways, no they don’t my passwords on my network shares are all caps/case/numbers.

That you get different results from different client could point to the fact that the different Windows versions may or may not have SMB1 still enabled.
Also it is more reliable to use the IP Address instead of the Name (unless you have a proper DNS setup).

That was my first thought so I opened a remote desktop connection to the backup with the mainpc, and opened ‘Turn on Windows Features’ on both to compare what was turned on/off on each and they were both identical.
I expect at some point I’m going to try and set up a proper server instead of relying on Windows Shares and sync to do the backups.

This unit is going to replace my parents WDTV tomorrow so I’ll just have to hope that the RaspberryPi running OSMC on the second TV can read the data off the hard drive attached to this one.