Card corruption problem

I’m using OSMC to run kodi on my raspberry pi3. I am yet to find a method of shutting down that does not corrupt my sd card. I use the power off fuction on kodi, then turn the power off at the plug. Everytime I do so my SD is corrupted and I have to start from scratch.
I am pretty new to this and I’m hoping there is an obvious answer.

Can someone please help?

This definitely sounds like a power supply issue.

Which PSU are you using?

I’m just using the power supply that came with my Pi

I bought a kit from amazon. Can you recommend a more reliable PSU?

How do you identify that corruption?
Maybe share some logs and we can check what’s happening.
While power supply is a possible culprit you might actually also see other issues during operation if that is the case.

When I power off, then start up again I get the sad face and can’t get any further. As I said, I’m pretty new to this and a bit of a noob so I don’t know how to share logs. It’s really frustrating me that I can’t turn my Pi off without this happening

When I power off system my tv screen goes blank but both the green and red leds are still lit on my pi

This isn’t normal behaviour, or as, you can imagine, there would be a lot more posts about it.

The SD card and PSU you are using are worth investigating. Not all power supplies are good. Some SD cards are problematic.

Re. logs, check out the Wiki. Unfortunately a lot of corruption doesn’t present a specific error in a log per se. It just passively occurs and bites you at an inconvenient time.

Can you still access it via ssh at that time? A sad face only indicates that Kodi crashed not necessarily a corruption of the SD card. If you can still ssh in then provide logs with grab-logs -A

Details regarding how to access the command line interface can be found here on our Wiki: Accessing the command line - General - OSMC

This time I’m not even getting the sad face, I’m just getting a black screen!

Typical that this unique, never before heard of problem would happen to me! :sob:

I’m going to try a different SD card and hope that does the trick

Get a PI they said
It’ll be easy to use they said

:persevere:

Sorry to bother you again. Ones last question. It is normal to still have the green and red leds on after I’ve powered down?

Are you at that time able to access via ssh?

I don’t own a PI3 but at least on a PI2 only the red one should stay on.
Also as a side note (while a clean shutdown should obviously be possible) it has been discussed very often that there is no reason not to keep the PI running 24x7

I’m so happy! The change of SD card did the trick! Thank you both so much for all your help and suggestions!

Another item… Why do you insist on turning it off?