CEC glitches

Just replaced the LE Pi connected to my kitchen TV with a Vero 4K+. The actual connection is to a Panasonic speaker bar and then to the TV. With the LE Pi, CEC was fine, and if for some reason the connection was not active, a quick cycle back to the HDMI input via the TV remote would wake up the Pi and all was well. With the Vero, I’m having some grief. I can get CEC to work, but if the TV has been off, I find that when it is switched back on I cannot get CEC to work without rebooting the Vero. My wife is a bit miffed and wants me to put back the LE Pi. As the Vero is in the server cupboard we can get around this by finding the nearest iPad and we use the Kodi remote app, but it would be nice if the CEC service could be as reliable as it was with the LE Pi. Any chance of a fix for this? I have checked the settings carefully for the obvious, the adapter settings are the same as the PI’s.

Hi,

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

So, in summary:

• activate the logging
  • reboot the OSMC device
  • reproduce the issue
  • upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A
  • publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

Regards Tom.

The CEC implementation on Pi and Vero are the same, so there shouldn’t be discrepancies. A log on Pi and Vero should let us see what’s going on

Can you test the Pi on OSMC? We don’t know what changes LE makes to CEC.

Sam

Did you power down the TV and the Vero from the mains for a couple of minutes and then started the TV before the Vero?

Yes, I’ve done a full power-down cycle, disconnected HDMI leads etc. I switched in an OSMC Pi and that had no CEC issues with my speaker bar. Elsewhere in the house I have a Vero4K+ connected to a Panasonic TV via a Marantz AVR and CEC is fine there, I also have another Panasonic TV with a Vero4K in direct connection and the CEC is fine.

What seems to be happening is that after the kitchen TV has been in stand-by for a while, the Vero seems to go in to a suspend mode, even though the CEC setting for the adapter is not set for it to do that (I have tried “Ignore” and “Stop playback” for the TV off setting and neither helps). When I switch the TV back on, when I switch to the HDMI input for the Vero, the Kodi display is there but in a dark sleep version, and I can only wake it up using the iPad remote app. Once I wake up the Vero and re-boot it, CEC works again, at least until the TV is next switched off. Hopefully the log below will help, this was recorded while CEC was working, I then switched off the TV for a while, when I came back the Vero was in sleep mode and I used an iPad to wake it up as the CEC had died.

https://paste.osmc.tv/sebuyupoko

If the Vero is suspending, the front LED should be turning red. Can you confirm if this is the case?

the front LED is not coming on, but the Kodi display is switching to “sleep mode” (not sure of the correct term - all the menus/thumbnails are there just very dark).

I think it’s on Dim.

Sam

yep, turns out that is just the screensaver. I disabled it, left the TV off for 10mins, came back and once again the CEC had gone. Should I try one of my other Vero’s ?

You could do. If one works well, then there’s likely a difference in settings.

Tried 3 Vero’s, none of them are playing nicely with the Panasonic speaker bar/TV combo I have in my kitchen, they all appear to work at first and then CEC fails first time TV is switched off. However, OSMC and LE Pi’s are fine. As I went to the trouble of posting a log, are there any pointers there to what might be going wrong?

Are other devices connected?
Is it possible the issue only occurs after switching source?

The issue occurs every time I turn the TV off. I think it happens whether or not the TV is displaying the Vero input or its own tuner output. Apart from the Kodi box, there is a blu-ray player, they are both connected to an HDMI automatic switch, and from there a single HDMI cable runs to the speaker bar. The blu-ray player is hardly ever used. Today I’ve switched Pi’s and Vero’s back and forth several times, the Pi’s work perfectly all the time, they resume nicely every time the TV is turned back on. The Vero’s just don’t. The CEC adapter settings look very consistent across devices.

Logs (from both devices). should let us compare and see if there’s a difference

Also see: HDMI-CEC some buttons not working on Vero2 that do work on Pi2 - #8 by sam_nazarko

Here is a log from an OSMC Pi that has no CEC problems when connected to same system:

https://paste.osmc.tv/axebexohay

Vero4K+ connected to a Panasonic TV via a Marantz AVR and CEC is fine there
[I’m not sure how to quote]

@ac16161, I also have a Marantz between a Panasonic and the Vero. Could you possibly share your CEC settings for all 3 devices, please. I’m having some issues.

I don’t think there is anything special about my CEC settings, but here you go. The AVR is an old NR1603, the TV as well is pretty ancient.

Great, thanks. I have the NR1608 and the TV is an ST60 (Plasma). I have a feeling my issue is connected my amp’s video passthrough on standby. I can’t seem to find if your amp has the same passthough. 1602 doesn’t but 1604 does.

My 1603 has an “HDMI Control” setting switched to On, which I think enables the passthrough you mention, among other things, though thinking about it I have no need for passthrough so might be wasting power. The corresponding “Power Off Control” is set to Off. Whenever I switch on the TV the AVR will come on if it’s not already on, I rely on the AVR’s auto stand-by to switch itself off. The 1603 is running a firmware update released earlier this year, surprised that Marantz are still supporting it.

I’m confused about the HDMI settings; I would have thought HDMI Control is the ability for the amp to receive control commands from the TV (ie volume, power) . I have these other options for passthrough:

I think it’s the passthrough that causes my Vero to switch back on. Can you watch the Vero with your amp switched off?
btw sorry to invade your thread, I hope your issue gets sorted too!