Change hostname

How can I change the hostname of my pi? I know that I can ssh into the pi and change it in /etc/hostname, but I would like to change it in the menu. If so, I can’t find it anywhere.

Thanks

Daryl

Changing the Device Name in Kodi will also change your hostname

Sam

Under “settings -> services -> device name” which is default to “kodi”?

Since the September update, this should reflect the hostname, and changing this should change your /etc/hostname automatically

Sam

Here is where I’m confused; /etc/hostname is default “osmc”, where as “settings -> services -> device name” is default “kodi”. I changed “kodi” to what I want the device to be named, but /etc/hostname did not get updated. I had to ssh into the pi and manually change the name in /etc/hostsname.

This is why I want to verify that I am changing the name in the correct location within the menu.

Thanks

Daryl

Are you on the latest version of OSMC?

The setting we are using is “services.devicename”.

Sam

I just downloaded the installation this weekend, so I’m assuming that its the most recent.

So, are you telling me that I am changing the name in the correct location? If so, then why the difference in the name? In “settings -> services -> device name” the name is “kodi”. In /etc/hostname, the name is set to osmc.

Daryl

The most recent disk image on the download page is last months release. So go into My OSMC to update your system to the very latest version.

As I just said; I downloaded the installation image this weekend, so I’m assuming that its the most recent release.

Daryl

Update;

After re-reading your post, I just realized that you wanted me to update via updates. I did that a couple of hours ago. So. Now are you telling me that if I had waited to change the name of my device, this update would have fixed my issue?

Thanks

Daryl

I finally had the chance to test the name change after updating OSMC earlier. I changed the name of my device in “settings -> services -> device name”, and verified that the name has also changed in /etc/hostname.

Thank you.

Daryl

Suggest you mark this thread as solved by clicking “…” (show more) and click the tick