Change of thumbnail and picture size

I have the collection of Inspector Morse videos. Most of these were recorded in 4x3 format but I cannot work out why some display the thumbnail and video in a square size and some display in the correct rectangular shape.

If I use mediainfo to check the media info both show as 4x3 format and 672x504 pixels. The only significant difference I can see using just a pair of samples is that the newer recording is showing as variable bit rate mode whereas the earlier version is constant bit rate mode.

Is there some parameter I can adjust or change to have all the pictures display the correct size.

Can you post the MediaInfo of both?
If you’re using library mode, it’s possible some episodes have a thumbnail and only some have to be generated

Hi Sam,
Here are two typical examples. New to this forum format so need a bit of initial guidance. I have the two mediainfo files saved as .txt files but how do I get them into your posting please. Tried uploading and .txt file not allowed. Tried copy and past but only get the whole file. Want I want is the opened text file. Sorry to be so dumb.

Paste and save to paste.osmc.io and the provide the resultant URL here.

file:///home/alastair/mastermedia/Videos/Inspector_Morse/Test_Newer.txt ```
file:///home/alastair/mastermedia/Videos/Inspector_Morse/Test_Original.txt

Hi Sam, hope this worked.

That’s not correct. Go to http://paste.osmc.io
Copy and paste the contents of the txt file into the site and save. Then paste the link here.

For reasons I do not understand I cannot get a handle on the paste file once saved. I have just inserted the texts here. The first file is the Original and below is the newer version.

General
Complete name : Inspector_Morse_01.2_The_Silent_World_of_Nicholas_Quinn.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media
Codec ID : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
File size : 1.11 GiB
Duration : 1 h 41 min
Overall bit rate : 1 564 kb/s
Writing application : Lavf56.40.101

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L3.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 6 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate : 1 462 kb/s
Nominal bit rate : 1 704 kb/s
Width : 672 pixels
Height : 504 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.173
Stream size : 1.03 GiB (93%)
Writing library : x264 core 129
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=6 / deblock=1:-1:-1 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=0.60:1.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-4 / threads=8 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=150 / keyint_min=15 / scenecut=0 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=60 / rc=cbr / mbtree=1 / bitrate=1704 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=1704 / vbv_bufsize=1278 / nal_hrd=none / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.40

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 96.0 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 spf)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 69.6 MiB (6%)
Default : Yes
Alternate group : 1

Here is the newer file:-
General
Complete name : 868754-003_Inspector_Morse_-_The_Silent_World_of_Nicholas_Quinn_hls.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media
Codec ID : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
File size : 1.09 GiB
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 1 541 kb/s
Writing application : Lavf57.83.100

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L3.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 6 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate : 1 437 kb/s
Nominal bit rate : 1 704 kb/s
Width : 672 pixels
Height : 504 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Minimum frame rate : 12.500 FPS
Maximum frame rate : 90 000.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.170
Stream size : 1.02 GiB (93%)
Writing library : x264 core 138
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=6 / deblock=1:-1:-1 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=0.60:1.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-4 / threads=8 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=150 / keyint_min=15 / scenecut=0 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=60 / rc=cbr / mbtree=1 / bitrate=1704 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=1704 / vbv_bufsize=1278 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.40

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 96.0 kb/s
Maximum bit rate : 99.0 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 spf)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 69.6 MiB (6%)
Default : Yes
Alternate group : 1

Sorry it is so cumbersome.

No joy with text so will try html:-
file:///home/alastair/Downloads/hastebin - azukijayin_newer.html
file:///home/alastair/Downloads/hastebin - wekuwinoso_original.html

Hope I have it right and that problem becomes clear.
Regards.

These are not useful links.

So be it. For some reason I cannot get paste to function. Might be that Firefox has a number of blockers and no-script add-ons causing problem. Will have to clean things up and start over if the previous text I have posted is no help.

These don’t help as they are only relevant on your computer. The media info you posted above that was useful.

https://paste.osmc.io/uxasuhevet.md
https://paste.osmc.io/vovayiyove.md

Please note I had to use HTTPS to get this to work.
Hope this helps

I’m not sure we that should be noted, everyone should be using https for everything possible.

Exactly but the link given to me in this thread was not HTTPS but only HTTP and I had to change it. Something strange going on but it should be OK now.
Having posted the two mediainfo texts can you see why they would be different sizes, which was the purpose of the exercise or should I grab the logs?

If I am to get the logs to you I need one help step which I cannot follow. Will return to that in morning.
Many thanks for all your help and sorry I had such difficulty.

Sorry to repeat myself but I lost the original plot: Here is my OP

I have the collection of Inspector Morse videos. Most of these were recorded in 4x3 format but I cannot work out why some display the thumbnail and video in a square size and some display in the correct rectangular shape.

If I use mediainfo to check the media info both show as 4x3 format and 672x504 pixels. The only significant difference I can see using just a pair of samples is that the newer recording is showing as variable bit rate mode whereas the earlier version is constant bit rate mode.

Is there some parameter I can adjust or change to have all the pictures display the correct size.

Do you use the Kodi library feature? If so it will pick up the thumbs from thetvdb if they are available. So it may be that some thumbs are coming from thetvdb and some are generated locally.

Hi Brian,
The thumbs mimic the main picture so there are no differences there. In other words both the thumb and the main picture are either correctly sized or slightly squashed sideways to give a square picture.

It seems the problem is with the video files themselves which are usually accessed from the NAS but I have not been able to identify the difference between them. Mediainfo gave me some differences but I couldn’t see the reason why the images seem almost squeezed in some and normal in others. The mediainfo files should now be available so maybe you can identify the problem.

You did not answer my question, are you using a Kodi media library and scraping for content?

I don’t see anything in the mediainfo, so I’m guessing that what I suggested is right, you are getting some thumbs from thetvdb and some are being created locally.

EDIT, looking at how the files are named, I’m still betting you are using the Kodi library. One of the files is incorrectly named so will not scrape, thus the thumb is locally created. The other file will get it’s thumb from thetvdb.

1 Like

Brian I am not familiar with terminology.
My media is stored on NAS box served with nfs. I thought the files were accessed by being mounted on the Vero system.

As far as I am aware I have not attempted to scrape movies or use any intelligent searching but am just using a flat file system and drilling down to folder I want. I hope that is what I am doing anyhow.