Choppy 29.97 FPS and 25 FPS 1080p playback on Vero 4K+

Hey everyone, first of all, I’m a very happy Vero user and in general I’m very happy with its performance. However, a few months ago I was starting to have problems with 1080p29.97 files. In the beginning I wrote my problems off as bum files or encodes but I don’t think that’s the case since it happens so regularly now. I don’t think it’s happening with every 1080p@29.97 file. Plus now there’s problems with 1080p25 files – these issues may or may not be related, but they look similar. I don’t have any problems with 1080p24 files (or 4k for that matter).

29.97 FPS

Debug Log, Mediainfo

Playback feels very choppy, as if frames are dropped all the time. Thin lines flicker from time to time, almost like there’s some kind of interlacing processing happening. I noticed the FPS counter hovers at around 40 when I enabled debug logging. Weirdly, my TV switches to 1080p60.

25 FPS

Debug Log, MediaInfo

Very similiar to the 29.97 issue, down to the slight flickering and low FPS number (around 31/32 in this case). TV switches to 1080p50.

Does anyone have an idea what’s happening?

Thanks guys!

1 Like

Try without the Whitelist entries and see if that helps.

1 Like

This did the trick, thanks! TV still switches to 1080p50/60, but that issue (?) seems unrelated, everyhing plays buttery smooth again.

1 Like

I’m also having the same with 25fps 1080p movies on a projector. The same movie in 24 is fine.

You’ve been around here long enough that you know we will ask for logs :wink:

Hi, same issue here since latest update. Glad, the the problem seems to be solved.
But what does “Try without the Whitelist entries” mean? No allowed Resolutions in Settings?

1 Like

Have you read this?

1 Like

I tested a 25fps video and a 29.97fps one on a Vero 4k+ installed from the latest image 12-21 so not updated from previous version.
The 25 played at 50hz 1080p with no dropped frames and the 29.97fps at 59.94hz 1080p with no dropped frames. I don’t have 25hz or 29.97hz whitelisted but I have allow double refresh rates enabled. Hope this helps.

1 Like

sigh… Yeah I know…

I have run into this situation as well. On Vero 4k+ there is judder on 25fps content, on Pi4 OSMC (with exact same settings as Vero) there is no judder. Very strange.

Have you change the UI resolution to 4k? This can make the playback choppy and needs to be left on default 1080p and option to automatically adjust the resolution or frame rate based on the video that it plays. Then it will change to 4k when it plays a video.

UI is on 1080p, 50hz. The content affected is 1080p/25. Set to Start/stop.

Try 30hz for the UI and see if you get the same issue. As that is default I think.

What TV is it?

1 Like

It’s a Samsung KS8000, in the UK. The issue may be with the files, they are the infamous BBC blu rays that can’t quite work out if they are interlaced or not. I just can’t work out why the Pi doesn’t have the issue but the Vero does.

Thanks for the advice, I’ll keep testing.

Do you have a link re. this?

Sam

They tend to be authored in MBAFF, I’ve seen quite a few posts over the years by people trying to encode them. Below is the info direct from a Bluray, not encoded.

Video
ID : 1
ID in the original source medium : 4113 (0x1011)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames : 4 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 49 min 41 s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 27.9 Mb/s
Maximum bit rate : 33.0 Mb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : MBAFF
Scan type, store method : Interleaved fields
Scan order : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.537
Stream size : 9.67 GiB (90%)
Language : English
Default : No
Forced : No
Original source medium : Blu-ray

Does the March-Update for Vero4k(+) solve the stutter-issue?

My hotfix was to select a non-standard resolution for the skin, so the resolution changes on every playback of 720 / 1080 / 4k file…

I own my Vero since 2017 and I never had any issues at all before (big big thanks - simply runs). So I was a bit confused about that issue - because I didn´ t change anything in my settings (never change a runnig system)…

Same problem here when i play video at 25 fps, it is very choppy. What i notice is that my TV switch to 50hz because of the option “Allow double refresh rates”. When i force the frequency at 25Hz by disabling all supported resolutions @50hz in the whitelist, everything is fine again, the video is not choppy anymore. So i guess the problem for me is more a 50hz issue than a 25hz. I will stick with this configuration of my whitelist until a fix is find. The most problematic is for the 720p videos because there is no 720p@25hz native resolution on my tv, so the video is scaled 2 times on a 4K TV. Once at 1080p@25hz by kodi and a second time by the TV at 2160@25hz

A log and fresh video sample would be great. A lot has changed from a video playback perspective in this time

Sam