Choppy playback since Leia

Hi,

I have a Vero4K and everything was smooth until the Leia Update. With Kodi 17 I had no problem with H264 or H265 encoded files, they played just perfectly. Since Leia (I only use the automatic updates), I find that the picture is choppy, especially, when movement is going on in the scene. I do not know if this is called frame-dropping or what the correct term is, I just have a choppy playback (sound in every bitrate is fine though).

The videos come from a FreeBSD server with a sub-par Ethernet performance (only powerline possive in my house unfortunately). However that was never an issue with pre-Leia Kodi.

With earlier versions I have edited advancedsettings.xml, in order to increase cache size, I do not know, however, if that was changed by the new Leia installation (file creation date is 19 May and my edits were in 2018). The current cache section reads:

<cache>
       <buffermode>1</buffermode>
       <memorysize>524880000</memorysize>
       <readfactor>5.0</readfactor>
</cache>

Perhaps this is the default for new installations anyway.

I will try playing the file via USB and post again.

Thanks for your help, I love the box, no matter what.

Georg

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Yes, sorry I forgot about that one:

https://paste.osmc.tv/zexiduzelo

The first two movies I watched 2019-06-08T22:00:00Z (Goldfinger,mkv) are about the same scenes.

Many thanks for your support!

Georg

Hi,

Have you added any resolutions to the whitelist?

If so try removing them and try playback again.

Its look like its trying to play everything at 1920x1080 @ 60.00.

Thanks Tom.

Hi Tom,

I bow to you in shame, that was exactly what was wrong!

Many thanks!

Georg

P.S. Since my netowork (powerline) is not very good, would tweaking the cache help in playing 4K content?

2 Likes

Hi,

Your caching settings actually match the default and recommended for the vero4k, I don’t think adjusting is going to help here.

Have you tried iperf3 tests between FreePSD server and vero to see what sort of speeds you are actually getting?

Thanks Tom.