Clean Library question

Hi, is there a way to have the “clean library” function stop asking for confirmation? Just burn through it all without asking every step of the way. Yes I understand the risks.

An OSMC or Kodi update occurred which broke every single link in my library. For some reason I was required to rebuild every connection to all my media. So now I have two links to every single media file. I am not trying to backtrack and troubleshoot why that happened. So be it. I just want to burn through and delete all the duplicate links.

I get it, if it deletes my whole library and I end up with nothing, then I have to start from scratch. I want to take the risk instead of having to click a zillion times allowing it to clean my library.

1 Like

go to the settings, media settings video library ‘clean library’ and it should get rid of all files it can no longer find as opposed to manually deleting every entry like you are doing now by the sounds of it

I already did that. It is a simple and obvious first step. Yet I keep getting asked “do you want to delete this specific path” ad nauseum.

I would rather the CLEAN function work without user intervention at every step.

Try removing the source or set the content to “None”.
That should ask you to keep or remove all existing items.

Exactly where in “Settings” should I do what is suggested ?

Something changed. If it’s prompting you that the location of the file is not valid, then the file has a new path. The database would not randomly change paths, so I’d look for how the drives are being mounted.

Complain to Kodi. Osmc has no bearing on your problem. This is Kodi’s expected behavior on all platforms.

Well, you can configure an automatic cleanup running on every scan for new items:

1. copy the file /usr/share/kodi/system/advancedsettings.xml to /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml if not already done. (/home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml overwrites the settings of the original file in Kodi, so this prevents that your changes get lost while OSMC updates)

2. in /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml insert in the <advancedsettings> ... </advancedsettings> section

<videolibrary>
<cleanonupdate>true</cleanonupdate>
</videolibrary>
<musiclibrary>
<cleanonupdate>true</cleanonupdate>
</musiclibrary>

1. restart Kodi or reboot your OSMC device

This will cleanup your database whenever you scan for video and music updates and items are missing (which could be a longish procedure depending on your db content).

There is a long standing bug in Kodi where it does not always remove missing files from the database. I wrote a python script that I use on occasion when this happens to me (and oddly I was doing a little cleaning up on my library. Fixed some incorrectly named files and the clean refuses to remove them)

I remember that I got some troubles when I removed a source from the library to get rid off items belonging to this source. So, if nothing helps, you can also restart from scratch with new dbs by purging

/home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/Database/MyVideos###.db
and/or
/home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/Database/MyMusic##.db

with a final reboot.
The disadvantage is you have to redefine the content type of all your added sources (which are still listed in Videos->Files and Music->Files). But sometimes this is the fastest way …