Config for HDR?

Hello,
I just bought an Acer M550 projector, the HDR is wonderful with the Fire Stick 4k and the Panasonic UB420, but with the Ver 4k+ is impossible to get good colours.
Any guide to config 4k Hdr?
Thanks.

Is refresh rate switching enabled?

We recommend people with 4K TVā€™s set their user interface (UI) to 1080p. Kodiā€™s UI is not optimized for 4K yet and this can put unnecessary demands on your device and can lead to a suboptimal picture quality, as well as potentially cause other issues.

The settings we recommend are as followsā€¦

Settings>System>Display>Resolution> 1920x1080p
Settings>System>Display>Whitelist> (empty) *
Settings>Player>Videos>Adjust display refresh rate> On start/stop

Some televisions may also need, or benefit from, the following being setā€¦

System>Display>Force 4:2:2 colour subsampling> (enable)

With the above settings your UI will be output in Full HD and your 4K content will be output in 4K. *Information regarding the whitelist can be found here. If you have any doubt, feel free to upload some logs so we can verify that your settings are indeed correct.

What sort of colours do you get? It should not need any configuration.

1 Like

Now the colours are right, but I have now a lot of banding. Itā€™s like the sharpness is too high, creating artifacts in the image.

What did you do to get the colours right? We canā€™t comment on whether the settings on the Vero are the best ones for you without logs.

Regarding the settings on your projector, I read this in the manual:

HDR
Compatible with the latest HDR format, which delivers crisp, clear
images with sharp changes in brightness, and provides realistic
images with enhanced details, extended depth of field, and rich
color gamut. HDR has 4 levels and each level suits different type of
content, including dark and bright scene.
If the HDR option is adjusted under the SDR (Standard
Dynamic Range) signal, the screen is an abnormal color.

This is rather odd - the whole idea of HDR is the display should automatically adjust itself according to metadata in the video stream. So thereā€™s no way of knowing exactly what this setting does, but you would just have to play with it for each video.

1 Like

Thanks, I fixed the problem. I adjust the brightness at 49-46 on the vero (depending the movie) and the contrast on 49, the burnings in the image are barely visible now.

Thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

Thanks to you, I hope that with the new firmware we can adjust HDR parameters.
One question how can I change the HDMI settings, fulll o limited?, i donā€™t find the option.

You should leave it on limited. See:

Settings level (bottom left) needs to be on Expert to see the limited/full range option.

1 Like

Thanks, this will be the gratest improvement for HDR projectors, set the display maximum luminance on the Vero 4K+ at 100 nits will correct all the artifacts, because the Vero adapts the HDR of the output to the HDR od the HDR projector that is at 100 nits more or less.

Let us know how it goes.

Iā€™ll be wait for the stable build with the Kodi v19.1 release, then Iā€™m going to let you know. :grinning:

In theory if I say to the device that the projector has 100 nits, it adapts the maximum output of nits to 100 nits making a tone mapping itself before send the video to the projector (like the PANASONICS UHD players or the Madvr software), improving the quality.

ā€œIn theoryā€, it always did do that, and all devices capable of HDR would do that. The Panasonics players add some adjustment parameters and MadVR also support custom tonemaps for users who want to apply a calibration to their displays and others who like to fiddle.

1 Like

Is there a list of tvā€˜s that are suggested to use the ā€žforce 4:2:2 outputā€œ option? I have a sony A90J and I woul like to know if there are any benefits from this option with this tvā€¦

Generally LG TVs benefit from this option.

If you find the HDMI signal regularly drops out, leaving you with a black screen, try ticking the box and see if it helps. Thatā€™s the only criterion.

The great improvement on the Panasonic with HDR optimizer is the adjustable MaxCLL that improves the output of maximum nits to the projectors.
Iā€™m very hype for the upcoming new update of the Vero 4k+.

We havenā€™t added a knob for MaxCLL, but what matters (mainly) is the ratio of MaxCLL to maximum display luminance so you emulate an increase in MaxCLL with a decrease in the display luminance setting.

1 Like

When do you think the update will be release?
Thanks.

End of May, realistically.

1 Like