Connect to another wifi network with the same SSID

I setup a device at home to give to my brother to use.

We have different wifi routers, but use the same SSID name.

However, when I brought it over to his house, it would not connect automatically.

I had to manually add his wifi network again.

I want to make a few more devices for family and friends, but it would be a hassle if I had to teach them how to connect to the wifi each time.

Is there anyway to set it so that it will connect to any wifi network as long as the SSID is the same?

Thanks for any help!

1. The main problem I can see is that connman uses the SSID and WiFi MAC address to uniquely identify an access point.
  2. I’m not sure how critical this is, but connman also stores the frequency of the access point, which might also differ.

The bottom line is that you’ll probably need to repeat the connect process for each access point.

Yep — he’ll need to know the MAC which may be tricky

Sam

Thanks everyone!

Too bad I can’t replace connman with something else. Otherwise OSMC seemed like a great solution.

You can – but you’ll be on your own re. support.

You could use the preseeding solution in the OSMC installer for this.

Sam

Thanks sam_nazarko!

I wasn’t exactly sure what the “preseeding solution” was, but it did get me thinking in that direction and I found one :slight_smile:

I created a connman-service.config provisioning profile:

https://www.mankier.com/5/connman-service.config

Then, each time it starts up, it will look for the network and connect to it.

You can also use the OSMC installer which will create a preseed.cfg for you. This is a one shot connection attempt on boot.

1 Like