Connect Vero 4k+ to NAS on different subnet

I have recently changed my netowrk configuration and now my NAS (OMV box) is on a different subnet to the vero 4k+.

my previous configuration was to have all devices in my home network connected to the same router. The vero was accessing the shares on the NAS via SMB. Having moved the physical location of devices in my house I now have weak wifi signal on the vero and decided to attach it directly to my virgin media router by LAN.

The virgin media router was previously in modem only mode but now has been switched to gateway (router mode)

So I now have two routers, the virgin media one being connected to the internet with only two hosts, the vero 4k, and the secondary router.

all other devices on the network are connected to the secondary router.

The problem: I can access internet from the vero, but I am not able to ping via ssh any devices which are upstream - connected to router 2. (i.e on the 192.168.1.x subnet)

I can however ping downstream - i.e. I can ping the vero from devices attached to router 2, such as the OMV Nas.

Both routers are using NAT. No firewalling is in place.

does anyone know how to solve this routing issue?

NAT means the router is hiding it’s client from the outside.
Your Vero is now from the LAN perspective in the WAN.
With this design you would have to do Port Forwarding on Router 2 to the NAS but that I would not recommend.
Can you reconfigure Router 2 not to do NAT?
If you tell us the make/model of your router we can help with configuration.

Thanks for the quick reply,

I’ve tried disabling NAT on Router 2 (TP LINK AX5400) but unfortunately that has caused all devices connected to Router 2 to lose access to the internet. Router 2 is also doing DHCP for the devices connected to it, i’m not sure if that’s also an issue?

The router does have the option of adding a routing entry, I wonder if that could help?

You would then have to tell the router DHCP server to give the IP the Virgin Router as Gateway or you would need to configure a default route in router 2 to the Virgin Router

As you indicate, it is likely a routing issue. The problem is that it is unlikely that you are running any routing protocols between the routers and thus the Virgin router is unaware of the 192.168.1.1 subnet sitting behind router 2. If you do a traceroute from the OSMC device to something on the 192.168.1.1 subnet, where does it end, the Virgin router ?

Typically the way to handle this is to enable routing protocols on both routers to share the routes they know about (typically RIPv2 on a network like this) or add a static route to the Virgin router which points subnet 192.168.1.1/24 to 192.168.1.1. You would need to disable NAT to get access to the entire subnet or, as mentioned, a port forward could be used in lieu of a routing protocol or static route but the main question is the purpose of splitting the subnets across routers ? Was the goal security or some other reason ?

Thanks,

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, the goal was to avoid using wifi as the signal is very weak in the Vero’s new location. I could instead run a physical cable from router 2 to the vero, buts its quite a long distance and requires going through walls/under floorboards etc.

The virgin router happened to be nearby to the vero, so I thought connecting them (which has resulted in the subnets) would be a relatively easy solution. My lack of networking skills show that this is perhaps not the case. . .

you are correct the traceroute results are:

traceroute to 192.168.1.140 (192.168.1.140), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
 1  _gateway (192.168.0.1)  2.476 ms  1.660 ms  2.055 ms
 2  *  *  *
 3  *  *  *
 4  *^C

Both routers are fairly basic (the virgin one moreso) so I don’t think RIPv2 is an option. But Maybe static routing or port forwarding are the only options if I do go down this route.

I think static routing could be the solution if you can configure that on the Virgin Router.
Alternatives:

1. I think the TPLink supports Wireguard, you could configure a wireguard VPN between the Vero and the TPLink which would allow full access
  2. You could make the TP-Link a dumb AP (means disable the DHCP Server and have a single LAN from the Virgin router and have the Virgin Router be the DHCP for the whole LAN.
2 Likes

I think you clearly have a set of options to resolve:

1, Convert router 2 to AP mode and leave on the same subnet
2. Remove NAT from router 2 and add static route to Virgin router
3. Add port forwarding to NAS on router 2
4. Leverage wireguard

I kind of put them in how I would order my preference.

Good luck,

Jeff

2 Likes

Thanks both for your help. I went down the AP mode and all is now working great.

Excellent result. I am getting ready to do the same thing here at my house to get to a far bedroom and better outside coverage.

Thanks,

Jeff

So this thread finally prompted me to add an additional access point near the other end of my house. I picked up a Netgear AC 1200 Model 6150 unit. Overall it was very easy to setup and performance is great. Changing from extender to AP mode was a simple flip of a switch.

This will also allow me to address my 100meg wiring problem since I now have excellent coverage and the Netgear Extender/AP is gig connected.

Jeff