Connecting 3G usb dongle/modem to osmc on raspberry pi

I don’t know what you mean by HiLink and non-HiLink. The only Huawei I have is a 4G/wifi puck which talks to computers with wifi and ethernet over usb. Is that what cdc_ether provides? I’ve never used the HiLink app.

What’s the model number?

If you can talk to http://192.168.8.1 from your browser it’s probably HiLink. (That’s assuming they’ve kept the same network address.)

Now, most of the Huawei dongles seem to be HiLink.

No it defaults to 192.168.0.1 and I haven’t noticed anything to suggest the ‘double NAT’ you mention. It’s an E5372 (branded 3).

That’s nice. I was thinking more along the lines of the USB sticks, like the E3372.

Sticks is what we are targetting. Anything else can connect with wifi.

That’s what I thought. So I guess you’re now aware of the potential complications when using Huawei sticks. And the E3372 is very popular.

According to this it looks like LTE support is lacking, unless they just haven’t bothered to update this list (highly likely IMO).

Er, the last commit in doc was Sep 26, 2012 and for the whole repo was Oct 21, 2012. Either ofono is abandonware or there’s a more recent version elsewhere.

OOps. Looking at a fork… Changed the link: file is the same.

Just for fun, I’ve bought this so we’ll see if it works. Gets sh*t reviews but for £22 worth a gamble.

Just FYI, I found the ofono mailing list archive here and in Feb 2017 you’ll find a reference to the Huawei E3372. Looks like they were having issues even getting ppp to work. Oh the joy! (And I also seem to recall that there numerous different versions of the E3372, just to make things really interesting. :wink: )

As anyone who has searched for 3G dongle bargains knows. The cheapest come from Russia with the wrong set of frequencies :wink:[quote=“dillthedog, post:50, topic:37651”]
I found the ofono mailing list archive here
[/quote]

Thanks for that. Confirms what I have found - this guy sums it up nicely.

I know it’s Wikipedia, but AFAICT most of the Russian LTE operators are on 800, 1800 or 2600, just like the rest of Europe.

I do recall having an issue - frequencies, transport or something. I was on 3, I think, with no 4G signal here.