Consistently interrupted playback

Hello @DBMandrake, thank you for the extensive and helpful reply.

This doesn’t sound like a libNFS (Kodi built in NFS) issue to me, as you are having the problem both with Kodi’s libnfs and Kernel mounts …

Yes, that’s a very good point.

Can you post your exact fstab line …

Certainly:

gateway.firstgrade.co.uk:/home/Multimedia /home/Multimedia nfs rw,proto=tcp,sec=sys,hard,intr,bg,noauto,x-systemd.automount 0 0 gateway.firstgrade.co.uk:/home/dmz /home/dmz nfs rw,proto=tcp,sec=sys,hard,intr,bg,noauto,x-systemd.automount 0 0

I always try to keep the NFS options used to an absolute minimum, and let the NFS protocol sort out the rest. That doesn’t always happen though, so there is definitely scope for further “tweaking” (on the client end); in particular, I see you’re specifying rsize/wsize, and effectively completely disabling NFS locking; you’re also forcing NFSv3 (which will disable a number of the otherwise automatic protocol negotiations that come with NFSv4) so that’s interesting too.

I’ll experiment with some of the options you’re using and see what (if any) difference it makes - thanks.

Also it would be very helpful if you would post (via the Log Uploader) a system journal and Kodi debug log taken after the issue manifests, and point out the exact time when the problem occurs.

Certainly - will do.
Can’t at the moment as the family is watching “The Mask” (which is playing apparently perfectly :slightly_smiling:) - I’ll see what I can arrange, hopefully tomorrow.

Some additional thoughts - is flow control enabled on the switch the Vero is connected to …

Oooooooh yes … :slightly_smiling:
I always check that (good point though), and will typically disable autoneg too (as it causes vastly more problems than it ever solves) though I haven’t done that for the Vero yet (I will try).

Have you run an iperf test between the Vero and NFS server ?

No, and that’s another good suggestion - I’ll do so.

What bitrate are these rips ? Are they full blu-ray rips or are they at a lower bitrate ? …

Full rate Blu-Ray rips. We get “AnyDVD HD” to strip the protection, but otherwise it’s a pure image rip. The “Prometheus” 3D rip in particular is reported as generally around the 25-30Mb/s mark if I randomly check during playback.

As for the problems starting at any particular bitrate, that is another very good question. E.g., “The Mask” is currently playing perfectly (and reports ~4.5Mb/s at the moment). Interestingly, it’s also telling me that, about half way through, we’ve got nearly 5,000 drops and 3,500 skips, so whilst visually playing fine, it may well be having difficulty even at that relatively low bitrate.

I’ll download the jellyfish clips and (using the H264 versions) check to see at what point the playback problems become obvious.

Many thanks, you’ve given me quite a number of interesting possibilities to pursue - I’ll get back to you.

Cheers!

Tris.