Constant crashes

Hi

Not sure what happened but today I get constant crashes. Vero V won’t stay up for more than 5 minutes when going through UI.

Feb 24 update installed.

Where do I find logs via FTP?

So I changed the skin back to OSMC and during changing I got another crash and, after powering down and up, I got OSMC skin error re shortcuts not being created and I can’t do anything from the UI now :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I get no shortcuts whatsoever now - can’t do anything. Got the device yesterday and not a good start obviously here after spending few hours configuring it and adding my media db.

From /home/osmc/.kodi/temp/kodi.log:

2024-02-08 19:38:50.067 T:2950    error <general>: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                                    - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                                   Error Type: <class 'SyntaxError'>
                                                   Error Contents: unexpected EOF while parsing (<unknown>, line 0)
                                                   Traceback (most recent call last):
                                                     File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/script.skinshortcuts/resources/lib/skinshorcuts/hash_utils.py", line 57, in read_hashes
                                                       payload = json.loads(raw_hashes)
                                                     File "/usr/lib/python3.9/json/__init__.py", line 346, in loads
                                                       return _default_decoder.decode(s)
                                                     File "/usr/lib/python3.9/json/decoder.py", line 337, in decode
                                                       obj, end = self.raw_decode(s, idx=_w(s, 0).end())
                                                     File "/usr/lib/python3.9/json/decoder.py", line 355, in raw_decode
                                                       raise JSONDecodeError("Expecting value", s, err.value) from None
                                                   json.decoder.JSONDecodeError: Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
                                                     File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/script.skinshortcuts/resources/lib/entry_point.py", line 16, in <module>
                                                       script.route()
                                                     File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/script.skinshortcuts/resources/lib/skinshorcuts/skinshortcuts.py", line 78, in route
                                                       route_method()
                                                     File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/script.skinshortcuts/resources/lib/skinshorcuts/skinshortcuts.py", line 83, in route_buildxml
                                                       self.xml_func.build_menu(self.MENUID, self.GROUP, self.LEVELS,
                                                     File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/script.skinshortcuts/resources/lib/skinshorcuts/xmlfunctions.py", line 97, in build_menu
                                                       if not self.shouldwerun(profilelist):
                                                     File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/script.skinshortcuts/resources/lib/skinshorcuts/xmlfunctions.py", line 187, in shouldwerun
                                                       hashes = read_hashes()
                                                     File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/script.skinshortcuts/resources/lib/skinshorcuts/hash_utils.py", line 59, in read_hashes
                                                       payload = ast.literal_eval(raw_hashes)
                                                     File "/usr/lib/python3.9/ast.py", line 62, in literal_eval
                                                       node_or_string = parse(node_or_string, mode='eval')
                                                     File "/usr/lib/python3.9/ast.py", line 50, in parse
                                                       return compile(source, filename, mode, flags,
                                                     File "<unknown>", line 0

SyntaxError: unexpected EOF while parsing
                                                   -->End of Python script error report<--

I suggest full logs via My OSMC.

How would I do that now? I see blank screen - no shortcuts here now only OSMC logo and time, nothing else.

Managed to change skin by going to setting via long-pressing “Back” button.

It can be done via SSH if still having problems

Ok, so using Kodi default skin

It took few minutes for UI to freeze, after unplugging and plugging back I managed to get this:

https://paste.osmc.tv/xesivunoni

And this was after I got a freeze during media playback after 3-5 seconds:

https://paste.osmc.tv/ijunelumen

Each log was uploaded after unplugging and plugging back in.

All I did today was add more SMB shares to /etc/auto.smb.shares and then added them to Kodi, then refreshed library and soon after it started…The shares are working fine though, I’m browsing them without any issues via FTP.

Update:
commenting shares added today without clearing the library yet doesn’t help, still crashes in UI and playback

I also added USB remote dongle today…

I will check this tomorrow.

You always can create logs via logging in via SSH and run grab-logs -A this would also work if UI frozen or crashed.
This would be my one question anyway if you still can connect via SSH in the moment the UI is frozen.

2 Likes

If you still experience a problem please upload logs as suggested by @fzinken

When it freezes the network connection goes down instantly and I can’t reconnect via ssh or ftp.

Okay that is good to know

Hm…Came back from work and had a run of about 40 minutes without crashes and then suddenly they started again - (‘sad’ face and kodi restart) and freezes (complete freeze, power off then on only helps, network down). No changes here apart of going through UI.

I’m starting to think this box is overheating. CPU temp via Kodi->Hardware is 59 deg C.
Can’t install ‘sensors’ here to monitor this via SSH. ‘lm-sensors’ don’t detect any. Is there an alternative?

59C is nothing.

Honestly at this point I’d do a fresh install and make changes to the device incrementally.

Will look over your logs shortly

Sam

Wipe and fresh install of Dec 23 version with remote USB dongle in results in constant crashes after 2 minutes of going through UI (OSMC skin), enabling ethernet adapter (not Wifi as that USB too I think) and pulling and installing one update.

Feb 24 version, fresh install, no dongle in, wifi disabled, ethernet disabled = froze as I was typing the first paragrah.

This Vero V box is broken. I’m leaving it. Sam, see the ticket I created.

Thanks, will do. First I have seen such an issue so will take a keen interest in getting this solved promptly for you. Happy to ship out a new one for you.

Sam