Constant crashing

Can you post one more log so we can actually check which version you are on?

This thread seems to have dragged on a bit, but from what I can recall, we could see manual shutdowns in your logs. Have you tried reinstalling the OS from Download - OSMC?

Sam

The manual shutdown is the only way to recover the Vero once it has frozen (pull the power) , I have said this many times, it becomes unresponsive to all communication, if you look back I have re-installed Kodi and OSMC. A brick wall I think!

Okay - I didn’t think we had seen logs that had shown a reinstallation yet.

You can contact support@osmc.tv with details.

Well that is where the confusion is. “A manual shutdown”, as it is seen in the logs, is a shutdown that is issued by something that is still communicating with the device (remote control, json command or a script). I assume when you mean manual shutdown you mean a reset by unplugging power, or?

I mean I have to manually remove the power plug. The Vero is not being shut down by anything IT FREEZES. The display is dimmed and frozen if it was playing when it froze. If it was not on when it froze then I can only unplug it. If something was turning if off there would be NO DISPLAY not a FROZEN one.

Understood - but your logs so far show a manual shutdown, which obviously would not be shown as a plug pull.

Can you upload some new logs so we can check software version and verify successful reinstall?

Sam

https://paste.osmc.tv/fayoxunuca
https://paste.osmc.tv/yoduyurugi

These aren’t full system logs. Can you please upload full logs via My OSMC?

Sam

https://paste.osmc.tv/buxezenigi
You have to more specific, you are calling them all logs

Just looked at the last logs provided: it is noticeable to me that all 3 Seagate disks repeatedly experience a “usb disconnect” at the same time. They are connected by a 4 port USB hub but there is no error for this device around.
Also, you see very often around these USB disconnects other hdmix “plugout” events … ???

So, why do these hdds disconnect all the same time? Are they powered by a common power strip and accidentally turned off with other devices like the Denon AVR? :thinking:

For me this is the hottest lead atm …

The USB hdds and the Denon are on the same mains supply, this will be turned off but only after the Vero is in suspend mode

It was unreachable this morning and is also now, can I try another Vero4K+? its been solid for the time I have had it, this only started at the end of June, nothing has been changed on the system.

I’m sorry to have to correct you here: The Vero’s suspend mode is a low power mode and not a sleep mode in which the system is inactive!
It runs with a reduced CPU clock frequency but the operating system and mediacenter software stack is still active … but the disks must not simply be switched off in this mode.

Just because your method to hard power off the hdds has not led to any visible problems so far does not allow the statement that turning off the hard disks during operation is now a permitted process. I’m sorry, you have to work out the rest with @sam_nazarko from here.

But it freezes Jim with no hdds or hdmi or network connections, Straw Clutching comes to mind, a bit pissed now, I expected more😭

As mentioned previously, you can contact support@osmc.tv with your details and we can check this for you.

Unplugging hard drives or powering them off when the system is on is a guaranteed way to cause data loss in the long run and I wouldn’t advise it. If you want to turn them off:

• Wait for 15 minutes, we should automatically spin them down, removing the need to power cycle them
  • or, eject them / safely remove them under Kodi. You can then remove the power from the drive safely.

Sam

Modern hdds use the current generated by the platters coasting down to park the heads, similar to an F1 car re-gening into corners, I always turn them off and have never had any data loss.
I opened up the Vero4K+ checked what I could, thought I had found a faulty diode but it checked ok on the meter. I applied a smear of HSC to the processor and closed it up. It has now been fine for over a week???

From what you describe, it’s possible that the device was overheating. The English summer we are experiencing hasn’t exactly been overwhelming however…

Did you happen to also update to Kodi v19? We are shipping a new kernel with this version of Kodi which has better thermal governing and can prevent some issues with the device could overheat (which could happen because we didn’t throttle GPU speeds on our older kernel, just CPU)

Sam