Control4

Hi,

I am brand new to all this and just about to install a Home Cinema.

Would like whole thing working off an iPad using Contol4. Is it possible for Control4 to work with a Vero box?

Thank

Hi,

From a quick google it looks like it will, but you would better of asking this question:

OSMC is an operating system, which kodi sits on turn off; control4 will interface with kodi.

Thanks Tom.

Thank,

I just need to get the Vero remote control to work with Control4, so would that still be Kodi?

Hi,

Sorry I think I miss understood the question, I thought you were trying to use Control4 on the ipad as a remote.

How would you like the vero remote to interface with control4?

Thanks Tom.

No it’s me! That’s exactly what I want to do…

But I think it’s beyond my skill set :frowning:

Hi,

I can’t other any advise on control4, but if you wish to control vero/kodi; i just this:

Thanks Tom.

It seems very possible, look at this:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=128714

You’ll need whoever set up your Control4 system to add Kodi as a device.
I don’t know Control4 very well but the system we use has IP and IR drivers for kodi.

It looks like it can work, but OP has cancelled their order. Unless we receive other requests for support for this; it’s unlikely we’ll develop things further.

Looking forward to receiving my 4K+ in a few days. I’m wondering if there are any users here with experience with the above free driver. I have a control4 system that automates a number of AV configurations and lighting scenes and I’d like to add the vero/kodi to this system. I’m not an C4 expert but typically control4 prefers IP drivers to communicate with the device, which in this case is kodi. Any feedback on you experience integrating the vero/kodi with C4 would be greatly appreciated.

I’m digging into this whole thing myself, as my 4K+ doesn’t appear to be working with the current older Control4 driver I have (I believe from Recluse AV). It previously worked even with multiple clean installs of OpenELEC/LibreELEC right out of the gate, while I had zero luck with OSMC so far…

It probably just uses JSON-RPC. Make sure IP and credentials are set properly and that should be it.

It should work on Krypton but does not work on kodi18 because there have been some protocol changes which means the driver connects but can’t control it. The author of the driver. Chowmain, is aware and will change driver once kodi18 comes out of beta. There Is a thread on c4forums dealing with this.

Sorry to revive an old topic. But I am wanting to get control4 working with the Vero 4k or Vero V? From the above it appears that control4 can be used with Kodi. Is this still the case? Anyone?

I had never heard of this software before clicking on this thread a few min ago but it looks like you can integrate Kodi into control4 using the chowmain software mentioned above. I browsed over relevant parts of the manual for the chowmain Kodi full driver and I don’t see how there would be any issue working with OSMC vs. Kodi on any other platform. The software just uses jsonrpc for control and regular UPnP for if you want to push/pull content between devices. This is standard Kodi features that exists on all platforms since it is the exact thing that all the Kodi apps and the web interface use. The only potential issue I could see is that if your wanting to also do IR control with it as that software seem to state that it can only do that on Android. I’m assuming based on the manual that you would actually need to do an additional step in configuring CEC in Kodi to tell it to turn your TV/Amplifier on/off as I got the impression the software is only pushing the Kodi actions for CEC for the power functions instead of some special bespoke solution.

Control4 and Crestron support is definitely possible

This would really be great. I really like the player and have had it a couple of years, but really need it integrated into control4 to keep it. I have the infrared repeater box for control4 so it can also send infrared to the Vero. Can the Vero accept AppleTV remote codes? Or what is the best/easiest type of remote code vero accepts?
Edit: But I would much rather have a basic control4 driver and not have to mess with IR. So hopefully that can happen.

If you go to the remote control section of the My OSMC add-on you can select between pre-configured remote profiles for it to listen for on the IR receiver. It will do a Apple remote but I think that one is a poor choice as it has very few buttons to keymap against. I think MCE or XBox 360 are popular choices as they are default keymapped probably better than any other for IR input and have a large number of dedicated buttons for various tasks.

If you use any Kodi remote app on a phone or tablet then that is how I’d expect the chowmain software should work. The jsonapi has the vast majority of the actions you can do via IR covered but it is not 100%. Basically the way it works is if you have an IR remote the system passes input to lircd which maps it keypresses then when Kodi picks up that keypress it then looks up in its keymapping files what action should be performed and does it. With control via jsonapi it just directly sends actions via tcp/ip.

I have used Control4 with my Vero 4+ and Vero V for a couple of years. I use the chowmain Kodi full driver for IP control. I had an issue when I first set it up on my Vero 4 years ago that caused video to stutter. Chowmain support was great and they quickly updated driver to include a feature to turn off “constant polling” feature. I have it set up so when I pause movie lights dim and when I play movie lights go off.