Crash on startup

If you are still having problems with the drive disconnected then the first thing would be to try a different power supply (don’t use a cell phone charger!) Are you seeing a lightning bolt symbol on the screen?

You could also just do a fresh install of OSMC without the drive connected and see what happens.

No lightning bolt.

1. I’ll try a reinstall and no hard drive and see how things are first. If that fails then step 2, else step 3

2. Add a new Raspberry power supply. If that fails I come back bother you. Else step 3.

3. Install the HD with its own power supply / or hub.

Quick update: I went to an IT mall (at a shop specializes in hard drives), and they told me that there is no way I can split power and data ports with this model. Even using a dock or casing isn’t possible because the board inside the drive is fused to the disk.

However, I’m highly skeptical about this. Do you have any suggestions?

Get a powered USB hub. The hub will supply the power to the drive. And find a better shop if they didn’t know that.

Just use a powered Hub and you are done.

Thanks. So:

Raspberry > Power Hub > Hard Drive
    ^            ^
  Power        Power 
  Supply       Supply               

Correct?

Yes

Just to clear up the confusion on the ‘split plug’ I was referring to. It used to be somewhat common with USB 2.0 drives to use a plug that broke out into two plugs on the computer side so that one plug was power and data and the other just power. The reason for this is it was not uncommon for some computers USB ports to not be able to supply a full half amp, and some drives used a bit more than half of an amp so they were beyond spec if they used a normal plug. By using a split plug it halves the current coming from each plug.

Since you don’t have that then a powered hub is the way to go (and the preferable option).

1 Like

I see so in theory I could use a split plug, on USB going to the Raspberry and another to a charger? What kinda charger would that be then?

It would pull power from 2 USB ports on the pi.

That is not something you would want to do. That would have the potential to cause odd problems as you would be pulling power from two different sources. That is an entirely different thing than a normal use where you were pulling from two plugs connected to the same power source. You want a powered USB hub.

Cool! Well noted. Thanks for sharing.

Hi,

So I tested:

1. Use new power supply: failed.
  2. Use old power supply + reinstalled SD: works.
  3. Switched to new power supply + reinstalled SD: all good.

So far no symptoms, so today I bought and used:

1. Powered USB hub. See picture below. Let’s wait a month or so and if all goes well then this case is cleared!

Thank you all for your help!

1 Like

Hi all,

Not sure this is related or not but I’m not able to start any longer. This time however I’m getting some error message which I didn’t use to get before:

Failed to start openDSB secure shell server.

Is that the same issue or a different one?

Looks like a corrupt SD card

I just bought the new SD on October 1st :frowning_face: but right before I installed the powered USB hub.

What power supply are you using?

See the thread, two posts up. I used the powered USB Hub as suggested earlier.

But how are you powering the Pi?

Pi powered with a standard Pi power supply.