Creating SD Card fails

I am trying to start PI Model 2 B from an SD Card.
I downloaded OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20160502.img.gz and extracted is to get the .img file.
First I used the command dd bs=512 if=OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20160502.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 command. The PI would not start up. GPARTED showed the file system was not recognizable.
I used gparted to delete the partition and format it to FAT32. There was a 1 Mib ‘unallocated’ space at the beginning. I moved the partition to the left.
Then I used dd bs=4M if=OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20160502.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1. But when I start gparted the filesystem is not recognized. Also the card is not shown in the file manager as it was before the dd command.

What is wrong with what I am doing?
(I used the dd command in another ‘mediaplayer project’ and it worked well.

I changed “dd bs=4M if=OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20160502.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1” to “dd bs=4M if=OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20160502.img of=/dev/mmcblk0” and I see a 255MB volume now. I’ll try it in the PI later. Probably problem solved. I’ll let you know later.

Why don’t you just use the installer?

mmcblk0p1 is the first partition. When imaging a whole disk image like the installer image you want to write to the entire disk, which is mmcblk0. So it should work this time.