CTRL+SHIFT+O information on another key in keyboardmapping; how?

Using Vero 4K; I want to create a keyboard mapping to enable CTRL + SHIFT + O from my remote. I can use any key, but what is this ctrl+shift+o thing called so I an add it to a key in keymaps/keyboard.xml.

Edit:
I don’t want to create CTRL+SHIFT+O mapping; that already exists in kodi, but I want to do the same on another key since I’m unable to create a CTRL+SHIFT+O keypress from my harmony remote (used as bluetooth keyboard)

https://kodi.wiki/view/Keymap

Check out “4.4 Keyboards” example.

But this enables me to map ctrl+shift+o; I don’t want that… if you take a default kodi 17.6 in windows or mac and click ctrl+shift+o (I don’t know what it is called). I want the same functionality on another key; for example “g”

According to this it’s CodecInfo2

That is the one, but this does not work still:

<keymap>
  <FullScreenVideo>
    <keyboard>
      <g>CodecInfo2</g>
    </keyboard>
  </FullScreenVideo>
</keymap>

So CodecInfo2 does not seem to work in keymapping, but CodecInfo works fine (but that is missing the information I want).

Try PlayerProcessInfo, but I’m not sure unfortunately, sorry.

Don’t think that works; it gives the same as CodecInfo if I remember right (I will test to make sure). But can I somehow in keymapping make click “g” actually do a ctrl+shift+o; that would make it work :slight_smile:

Edit:
Tested PlayerProcessInfo; did the same as CodecInfo. Currently I use a keyboard to achieve this, but I would love be able to do this without a big keyboard.

It’s more of a Kodi issue or a specific Kodi function and as such you should look at addressing the issue there.

1 Like

Try https://kodi.wiki/view/Video_playback
You will find Player Process Info, Player Debug Info , Display Info.
The first 2 are preprogrammed in the Yatse remote application for Kodi.

The best way for this sort of thing is always to look at the default keymap file: /usr/share/kodi/system/keymaps/keyboard.xml

Then, search for the key that does what you want and see what Kodi function it calls.

After that, it’s easy to map another key to the same function.

1 Like

Have not tested yet; but here they call it PlayerDebug.
<o mod="ctrl,shift">PlayerDebug</o>

@nabsltd: Thank you for this fantastic idea; I should have thought of this approach myself. Works as expected

1 Like

Thanks for this, needed this as well to get the info showing the buffer usage. A few minor additions for noobs like me:

• I used Winscp to access osmc with default login and password

• keyboard.xml can be found in:/usr/share/kodi/system/keymaps/keyboard.xml, download it to your pc for editting with e.g. notepad

• Previous poster mapped to “G” key, G has no function when video is playing AND harmony can send it so I used it as well

• The file already has a section “fullscreenvideo”- you need this function when video is playing so insert it here. I put it on the first line after keyboard, so it looks like this:

<FullscreenVideo>

<keyboard>

<g>PlayerDebug</g>

<f>FastForward</f>

<r>Rewind</r>

• Save the file. Now we use winscp to send it to another folder. Thats because we can’t save in the folder we got the file from, and this way its also backed up and persisten across updates. However the folder we upload to is hidden, so in winscp first change the preferences to see hidden folders: winscp: options, preferences, panels: show hidden files

• then use winscp to browse to /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/keymaps and upload keyboard.xml

• finish with a reboot. And it should work.

Although there is not a problem with the method you outline, it does seem a bit more effort then it needs to be and making future edits may be a bit more of a headache as your dealing with a rather long file to go though instead of just your customizations.

You can also do this currently without going to the terminal at all. Install the “keymap editor” add-on (install from repository>program add-ons) and then edit>fullscreen video>other>player debug>edit key. Once you program the key just keep backing out until it gives the option to save.

Thanks for those additions. Just to be sure. If I only want to store the customisations. Would I just put this in keyboard.xml and store it?

<keymap>
  <FullScreenVideo>
    <keyboard>
      <g>PlayerDebug</g>
    </keyboard>
  </FullScreenVideo>
</keymap>

Kind of missed that you could just save the changes. Would indeed make it a lot simpler and you can skip finding the full file.

Correct. Kodi has an order in which it loads keymaps with files in the ~/.kodi/userdata/keymaps/ folder loading after the keymaps in Kodi’s system keymaps folder. Mappings in files loaded later in the sequence override conflicts and anything not conflicting just gets added along with all previously loaded mappings.

The name is not important though other than if you have more than one keymap in the same folder they get loaded in alphabetical order. When you make a file with keymap editor it actually gets saved as gen.xml.

If you want to learn more Kodi’s keymap wiki is an excellent source to start with…

https://kodi.wiki/view/Keymap

1 Like

Thanks appreciated, it works this way and indeed far simpler. Thanks for the short explanation, I checked the link you shares but would not have been able to understand properly from that link.

Short version of the “guide” if you want to solve this using a file (not the editor app)

Make a file keyboard.xml (e.g. with notepad on windows) that contains just:

<keymap>
  <FullScreenVideo>
    <keyboard>
      <g>PlayerDebug</g>
    </keyboard>
  </FullScreenVideo>
</keymap>

Upload to folder /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/keymaps, for example using winscp. Check you are able to see hidden folders in winscp (options, preferences, panels: show hidden files).

If your sitting on Windows you could (after you install SMB Server in the My OSMC add-on) just transfer the file with Explorer by typing in the address bar…

\\192.168.x.x\osmc\.kodi\userdata\keymaps\

Or you could just SSH directly from Windows and type it in on your device directly. On Win10 just bring up CMD and…

ssh osmc@192.168.x.x
osmc
nano .kodi\userdata\keymaps\gen.xml
kodi-send -a reloadkeymaps