I’ve been using the latest OSMC version on a Raspberry Pi 3. Version: 2016.2.3.
Just to be clear. While OSMC provides good features when it comes to reading files, there are shortcomings and UX improvements to be made:
- provide a region selection wizard on first startup and a link in the settings to rerun it if needed,
- no more usage of the command line to install other keyboard layouts other than qwerty. To me, from a user perspective, running sudo apt-get install console-common and having a DOS like window from the 90’ era is unacceptable,
- reset settings options on submenus translations be be shortened - just ‘reset’ for instance?
- when pressing Esc on the main menu, provide the shutdown menu,
- add ‘Open terminal’ option to the power-off menu as well as a hint to restart OSMC UI,
- just provide a input method/language submenu,
- Date/time settings? Settings > Date/Time/Timezone,
- Weather channel not accessible for all regions - why and how to set it up?
I’ve been playing around with OSMC a while longer and noticed the following issues:
- Incorrect or incomplete translations, I can help with that,
- When accessing Pi settings a popup is shown even when no settings are changed,
- Selecting a video/music/TV Show folder is not intuitive, providing a basic interface with folder would be much better or scan ~/Pictures/, Movies or Music folders respectively by default,
- Modifying an existing Library folder is not possible? You must enter the actual folder path as well as a name for it but I found no way to update a folder,
- How to add Pictures to OSMC library? Again, simplicity matters, e.g.: browse from a file either on local SD card, external hard drive or USB key, option to auto add all files from folder at once.