Delete existing profile - start from scratch

Hi,

what is the best way to create a complete new profile and delete the old one with all settings, add-on and any related data?

I have a lot of unused add-ons and repositories (the profile exists since 2016). I want to get rid of them and start with a totally fresh profile. Then I only will install again what I really need. Also my media files I will then re-import again.

I tried to create a profile but this seems not to work as I still see the installed add-ons.

I do not like to re-install OSMC completely. On the same machine I am running a nextcloud instance and some other stuff I like to keep.

Thanks a lot.
Tombar

Let’s test with Kodi default settings. Enter the following commands with an SSH connection.

systemctl stop mediacenter
mv ~/.kodi ~/kodi.bak
systemctl start mediacenter

If you are happy with the clean install you can remove your old settings via

rm -r ~/kodi.bak

1 Like

perfect. Thanks a lot. This is exactly what I wanted to achieve.

Will all the thumbnails of the library also be deleted this way?

yes

1 Like

deletion of thumbnails you can achieve easier without deleting the whole profile. If I am not mistaken you can just delete all sub-folders of “/home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/Thumbnails” + the related database file “/home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/Database/Textures13.db”. But you should also stop/start the mediacenter service as indicated above.

2 Likes