Dependency "script.module.requests" does not load

I’m trying to add the Kodi Music addon TIDAL2, but it fails with the “failed to install dependency” error. After enabling Kodi logging, I was able to establish that the dependency in question is “script.module.requests”.

Given that this is almost the first thing I tried to do after setting up a brand new Vero V and updating its software, I’m inclined to believe something in OSMC is not compatible with this plugin, which the Kodi Forum indicates works fine on LibreElec. If so, please help me fix it; one of the main reasons I decided to go with Kodi is so I can run this plugin, and the main reason I bought a Vero V is to facilitate a transition to Kodi.

If you post a log, we should be able to see why you cannot install it. Both OSMC and LibreELEC use the same Kodi add-on repository, so provided they are both running the same version of Kodi things should be identical.

There was a report of this with Kodi v21 a month ago but only one user seemed to be affected.

See: https://www.reddit.com/r/Addons4Kodi/comments/1f56tm5/comment/lkutpmj/

As a temporary workaround you could install the dependencies manually for now. I will see if I can reproduce this.

I’m assuming the TIDAL2 add-on is in the Kodi repository and you’re not trying to install it from a third party repository?

My suspicion is that this issue only arises if installing from a third party repository and that this is a change of behaviour in Kodi v21 (which we recently made available).

Will need to check and confirm.

Despite what the Kodi Wiki says, there is no TIDAL addon in the default Kodi repository. The Forum thread devoted to that addon says you have to do it from a zip file, and if you want automatic updates you should install the 3rd party repository zip, which then allows you to install it via the Kodi addon manager. I tried both ways, and got the same error both times. So yes, the problem is very likely related to the fact that I can only install this addon from a third party repository.

Thanks for clarifying Tim. I’ll look in to this further including asking via Team Kodi’s Slack if this is expected behaviour

Cheers

Sam

1 Like

Please let me know if you’ve been able to reproduce this problem at your end (which should be easy, given that the Vero V on which I encountered it was literally out-of-the-box). FYI, after installing the YouTube addon from the Kodi repository, which has script.module.requests as a dependency, the missing dependency changed to script.module.routing.

I’m currently away until 11th October, if you are familiar with SSH I can give instructions to try a test build. Alternatively you can just wait for others to test.

It will get solved, don’t worry.

Sam

I can ssh to my Vero V, but I’d prefer not to get involved in hacking it, so I guess I’ll wait. Thank you, Tim02130

Okay.

Sam: OK, the 11th has come and gone! Has anyone made any progress on getting addon’s installed from zip files (in particular, the TIDAL2 addon where I encountered this problem) since I brought it to your attention?

If I need to submit a formal support ticket for this to make sure it gets addressed, please let me know (and how?).

Well, there is a proposed fixed in the staging repository, but I can’t guarantee a fix for anything until I have more feedback yet.

If I don’t have further feedback soon I will release what we have as it will still have some other fixes, and won’t cause a regression.

Cheers

Sam

Does that mean I can expect an OSMC update soon? If so, will be installed automatically? Hope so, anyway!

In addition, the Plex AddOn from the Kodi repository is failing to load (log message: cannot import name ‘VerifiedHTTPSConnection’); could that be a related problem?

I will release an October update soon, but don’t know if it will resolve your problem.

Hard to say without logs, but I didn’t know there was still an official Plex add-on in the Kodi repository.

It’s in the Kodi repository and claims to be “official”. But it seems it’s not actively maintained; see e.g.

IMHO, the official Kodi repository should only have addon’s in it that are maintained. And the Kodi Wiki should also be kept up-to-date, not say that things like TIDAL are in the Kodi repository when they aren’t.

I know there’s a lot of volunteers involved in such open-source projects, but most other such projects I’ve dealt with do seem to be better organized.