/dev/root at 100%

Is it normal?
Are some cleaning activities due at this point?
How do I come about doing them safely?

Please note that my linux knowledge is somehow limited.

Well… Now I’ve done it.

A few hard power offs left my Vero booting into an unhappy face.

How to proceed?

Why the hard poweroffs ? If you do that enough times you will corrupt something.

Try powering on with shift held down on a USB keyboard - this should boot to the recovery console and automatically run a filesystem check which will try to fix any corruption.

Once you get to the command prompt try the following command to clear the APT cache - this should free up enough room to be able to boot:

apt-get clean

(sudo not needed at the recovery console as you’re already running as root)

Did you install any custom packages via apt-get install?

Sam

How can I put this @DBMandrake… maybe an unpatient wife and 2 kids inhouse might lead to these unwanted poweroffs… who knows.

No custom packages @sam_nazarko.

Now I’ve booted successfully Vero, but some settings were lost.

Trying to restore a recent backup now…

Still /dev/root at 94%, how can I safely reduce the space occupied by it?

Thank you guys.

Restore failed to copy the file… maybe the reason lies with the fact that /dev/root only has about 500MB free and the restore file has 1.38GB? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Any suggestions guys?

Can you give the URL that this command returns?

du -k | paste-log

What settings have been lost ? Most likely only your guisettings.xml, which Kodi will replace with a default one if it gets corrupted. It’s unlikely that any other files in your .kodi directory are damaged.

Did you run the apt-get clean I suggested ?

http://paste.osmc.io/itowoxaqen

Here you go @ActionA.

Well @DBMandrake, I think your right. Everything else seems untouched. I’ve been resetting all settings, and, after finishing, it seems that, other than gui settings, it’s all there.

Regarding the apt-get clean, yes, I did it… twice :smile:!!! It allowed me to reboot, and have the /dev/root reduced from 100% to 94% occupancy.
Maybe because I’ve got a big Movies/Series/Music library? Or some OSMC Backup uncleaned leftovers?

OSMC backup temp files are saved in /home/osmc/.kodi/temp - they should get automatically deleted but if something went wrong they possibly weren’t.

I would try this to get an idea of where your space has gone:

osmc@rpi2:~$ du -sh /home/osmc/.kodi/*
324M    /home/osmc/.kodi/addons
4.0K    /home/osmc/.kodi/media
4.0K    /home/osmc/.kodi/sounds
4.0K    /home/osmc/.kodi/system
232K    /home/osmc/.kodi/temp
365M    /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata

When you find a directory that seems to be using a lot of space you can drill down further:

osmc@rpi2:~$ du -sh /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/*
9.4M    /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/Database
4.0K    /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/RssFeeds.xml
352M    /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/Thumbnails
3.4M    /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/addon_data
4.0K    /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml.bak
64K     /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/guisettings.xml
4.0K    /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/keymaps
4.0K    /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/library
4.0K    /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/passwords.xml
8.0K    /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/peripheral_data
16K     /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/playlists
4.0K    /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/profiles.xml
4.0K    /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/sources.xml
4.0K    /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/wakeonlan.xml

You can see here my thumbnails folder is using most of the space under userdata. Generally the two biggest culprits will be the thumbnail folder and addon data.

There is a command line tool that draws a nice tree style graph of used disk space but I’m blanking on the name so I usually fall back to du…

Found the culprit @DBMandrake and @sam_nazarko.

The /home/osmc/.kodi/temp directory had 3 huge files, around 1GB each, leftovers from the Backup process included in OSMC.

Thanks for your help guys.

Keep up the excellent work. I’m very glad to have buyed Vero!!! :smile:

Thanks, I’ll get @Karnage to look at this. Thank you for taking the time to investigate where the storage had gone.

No worries @sam_nazarko. Glad to help all of us.

After today’s OSMC update, ran the OSMC settings backup and all went well. Tar file produced, copied successfully to backup destination, and temp directory cleaned.