Directions and Select buttons not working during playback when controlling via kodi commands

I have control of kodi setup on my The Home Remote app, and I have noticed that the directional and select buttons are not working when I am playing a video.

By not working, I mean that the directional buttons to not skip ahead or back or to chapters, and the select button does not bring up the controls/settings (pause, stop, subtitles, etc.).

These buttons work fine while navigating the kodi menus.

If I use the Vero V remote, the buttons act as expected.

I think this has only been occurring since an update was installed yesterday, but I have only had the Vero a few days and haven’t played many videos, so it’s possible it wasn’t working before that. The same commands are still working when using Kodi on my Shield.

I am not familiar with this app. Have they specifically stated they have a Kodi integration?

They don’t have anything specific for it. The community has created plugins/devices for it.

It’s basically sending HTTP calls.

If you can give us the request and key you are trying to send we can see if it can be reproduced here

It’s an HTTP Post request to http://(my Vero Ip):8080/jsonrpc/

ContentType - application/json

Select Key Body - {“jsonrpc”: “2.0”, “method”: “Input.Select”, “id”: 1}

Right Key Body - {“jsonrpc”: “2.0”, “method”: “Input.Right”, “id”: 1}

Left Key Body - {“jsonrpc”: “2.0”, “method”: “Input.Left”, “id”: 1}

Up Key Body - {“jsonrpc”: “2.0”, “method”: “Input.Up”, “id”: 1}

Down Key Body - {“jsonrpc”: “2.0”, “method”: “Input.Down”, “id”: 1}

I think you might have a bit of confusion on the difference between using jsonrpc and a typical input device (keyboard, remote, joystick, etc.). With most input devices in Kodi you have the input device sending some input command and that command is then run through the keymapping system to determine which action id it should perform. Thus, when your in the video playback window and you press up Kodi will usually see that there is an assignment that says in that window, that input, should perform the large skip step action. However when your sending commands via jsonrpc your sending the actual actions and not sending input commands that go through the keymapping system. Thus, when you issue a “Up Key Body - {“jsonrpc”: “2.0”, “method”: “Input.Up”, “id”: 1}” during video playback it is the same as if you keymapped the “up” action id which would do nothing as that is a navigation command in a window that has nothing to navigate.

With jsonrpc you would need to either directly send whatever action it is that your looking for or else use Input.ButtonEvent to simulate pressing a key. Tested it sending a command from Windows cmd and it seemed to work as expected…

curl osmc:osmc@VeroV:80/jsonrpc --json "{""jsonrpc"":""2.0"",""method"":""Input.ButtonEvent"",""params"":{""button"":""up"",""keymap"":""KB""},""id"":1}"

Thank you, that makes sense. I made a mistake before when I said it worked with the Shield. I forgot I was using Flirc, not Kodi commands for most of my Shield control.

Do you know where I can find a list of commands?

Or, to be simple, what the command would be for the Select button? I’m assuming the “KB” stands for keyboard? So “enter” perhaps? Edit: Yes, it is “enter.”

If you need explanations then the best place to get this info would likely be Kodi’s keymap wiki…
https://kodi.wiki/view/Keymap

But if you want something a bit more directed to see how a normal remote would be mapped then I’d suggest to just take a look at Kodi’s keyboard keymap…

That is my assumption. I’m no expert on jsonrpc though. I’ve just played around with it enough to be able to fumble my way through a few things.