Dis/enable Hardware remote control by API

Hello,

Since my daughter is 10 months she really likes to play around with the OSMC Remote control. Next time in turn on the TV/projector some random stuff is playing. I dont want to put the remote out of her range. She realy has a lot of fun with it.

I could send some API commands everytime i enable and power off the AVR Receiver. My idea is to disable the IR remote via HTTP API in OSMC and enable it again when i start the AVR.

Is that possible? Are there commands for the IR remote?

Thanks

I don’t think so, but here’s a list of everything you can do with the Kodi API:

https://kodi.wiki/view/JSON-RPC_API/v12

I don’t see anything that would let you disable the remote. Maybe take the battery out when you’re not using it?

1 Like

Make you could unplug the USB dongle between sessions? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I would think this would be easiest if you didn’t just want to purchase a second remote and not connect it.

1 Like

thanks for your help.

Remove the battery maybe would be the easiest solution. Not smart but simple and i have to save the battery).
Removing the usb-dongle is also a good hint. Maybe i can disable the usb-port via ssh and reanable it. Would be a nice try.

You can likely disable it via SSH, but re-enabling without a reboot could be tricky.

If that is really the route you want to go down then an option would be to make a keymap that just has a “noop” action for all the keys and then just make a script that moves or renames it then runs “kodi-send -a reloadkeymaps”. This would effectively get you to the same place.

Alternatively you could noop all the keys on a single window you don’t normally use (weather?) and then just long-press keymap one button to a back action to allow you to get back out without having to do anything outside of the interface.

2 Likes