Disk Encryption

Not sure if this is supported in OSMC OS but I thought I will request this if it isn’t.

Please add support for disk encryption where it will encrypt all the data on the main drive and require a password when booting up the system to decrypt the system and continue booting into the OS.

Many Linux distros support this such as Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, Arch, Manjaro, etc.

OSMC is based on Debian.

You haven’t specified which device you’re talking about. Sam will be better able to advise, but I have my doubts if it would work on a Vero4K/+.

I would like to inquire in the Vero4K and Raspberry Pi devices

Assuming that you are talking about the whole OS to be encrypted that surely will not happen as it would unnecessary complicate the system for its main purpose of being a media center.

If you want to encrypt your home folder or any data you store on the device you can use all Debian tools/solutions.

1 Like

@trymeout BTW veracrypt is not available via apt but it compiles easily for armv7.

Are you trying to use this on the root filesystem or for an external drive?

If it’s for the root filesystem, it would require initramfs changes, and the changes could be quite large and invasive.

Otherwise, this should be possible.

Anybody has something new about this? :innocent:
I would like to crypt at least the /home/pi/.kodi folder or parts of it on my rpi4.

What kind of encryption system would you be after?

No specific one, just one that works. Can be veracrypt or any other.

1 Like

To crypt userdata like movie dbs etc, anything possible?
Guess after first boot one needs to unlock and probably restart osmc ui so dbs load successfully etc.

Sounds like a no :slight_smile:

After boot it shouldn’t be a problem.

Hm yeah but as those db files are part of osmc/kodi it maybe still is a problem? Or one has to boot, decrypt, restart media center?!

That would work. Or add a systemd unit that runs before Kodi.

I doubt you could start then restart Kodi. The first time it would either crash or generate new userdata.

Gotta say - if the card can be decrypted just by sticking it in a Pi and booting, what’s the point?

True - unless there’s a prompt for a password…

So a hack to /usr/bin/mediacenter should do it.

Yes – but that would be replaced with updates.

A better option would be to use a systemd drop in for mediacenter.service and add a dependency on a new systemd unit which sets up the encrypted mount first.

Yeah it would require entering password during boot/before mediacenter starts, otherwise it would be useless :slight_smile:
But I dont know how to set it up in the way you mentioned :confused: