Distorted sound after rebooting

By distorted sounds are we talking about just clipping or something else? Are the distorted sounds we’re talking about only the GUI sounds?

In my case it’s only the GUI sounds. The distortion is not only on the optical output, hdmi scratches too.

Could you try setting the following back to the default of “1 Minute” and see if that yields results…
Settings>System>Audio>Keep audio device alive

Would you mind posting a debug log…

Not as yet. I think I’ve sourced another optical cable to test with so hopefully tonight when I get home

For me the distortions occur with GUI sounds and also notifications (e.g. the TvHeadend notifications that you get on first startup). It doesn’t occur with playing of video files as that seems to resolve the issue.

It’s hard to explain the distortion… The sound output is significantly louder and there’s almost a buzzing/blaring quality to it. Don’t know if that helps. I could try recording some of the distortion and posting it if that would help?

So did you try the “keep audio device alive” setting? I don’t know what is going on here but since it gets ‘fixed’ with the first video play I was hoping maybe kicking the output device with something that didn’t make an audible sound might be a workaround. A sample of what the distortion sounds like may help someone hone in on where the problem may be. I assume the issue has something to with the amplifier (unusual interaction type of thing) but in your logs I just see spdif starting at 44.1khz/16 and staying there so I don’t know why there is a difference between before and after the first video play.

The only other setting I can think of worth trying (although it should not actually come into play here) is disabling “maintain original volume on downmix”.

1 Like

Try adjusting the volume to something less than 100%. Even 99% can make a difference in certain situations.

1 Like

Reducing the volume down to 98% didn’t have any impact. Thanks for the suggestion though

Sorry for taking so long to post back. Have finally gotten around to testing with a different optical cable. No change at all unfortunately :slightly_frowning_face:

Just tried setting the “keep audio device alive” default of “1 Minute” as you suggested and rebooted. The distortion DID NOT occur… Thank You :slightly_smiling_face:!!

Interesting. It seems to have fixed it. What is the difference between this setting and the send low volume noise?

Also I don’t remember playing with this setting when configuring everything… You mentioned it’s a default, so it should have been configured to “1 Minute” by default correct?

Keep audio device alive I believe is to allow Kodi to grab and hold control of the audio device on the player itself, and send low volume noise is about keeping the downstream device awake.

Correct

1 Like

OK. Thanks for explaining that @darwindesign. Appreciate the help to get it resolved.

1 Like

Thanks all for your suggestions to help me get this fixed. Appreciate it a lot! And it’s a relief to have it resolved, even though it was a minor issue :wink:

2 Likes