Does Vero 4K+ Have HDMI 2.0b?

Are you able to actually see the difference between an HDR and an HDR 10+ video or you just check the tv / receiver?

I was an HD-DVD fan. When I was 14 I got my first HD-DVD player in the form of an Xbox 360 extension. It worked on PC, was region free and I got 10 free titles for just buying the player for £90.

At the time, HD-DVD was using H264 and VC-1 and Blu-Ray was still using MPEG2, which negated the increased storage.

HD-DVD proved it could hit its theoretical 51GB discs, but BD didn’t prove it could hit its 200GB discs.

Money talks. It all depends on where the money goes.

One also needs to consider how much a studio will invest in a platform until there is a decided winner. DV mastering is an expensive undertaking and if the market share is not there, it will not be utilised unless Dolby subsidise it.

Kind of a chicken and egg problem

Sam

1 Like

That’s why, as with the HD-DVD vs BR, I’m waiting until a winner emerges.

I have yet to view HDR10+ in action, but certainly Dolby Vision is dramatically much better than HDR10 on my LG G6 TV.

Quite.

LG are not impressed: http://www.insideci.co.uk/news/oled-canyon-impresses-but-lg-unimpressed-by-hdr10plus.aspx

Sam

HDR10, HDR10+, HDR Pro, DV…

1 Like

Not many UHD titles actually have DV HDR metadata. But the amount of releases that Apple pushes to its ATV4K with DV seems to prove that lots of/most movies are actually mastered with DV… Just wondering why DV only ends up with streaming then and not on disc. :thinking: Will the disc dictate which format will win this time or rather streaming?

You forgot HLG and Technicolor Advanced HDR. :slight_smile:

Those were mentioned in the ‘…’ :wink:

I originally thought HDR Pro was a cut-down version of HDR10. Perhaps HDR Pro is just a catch-all marketing name for whatever LG is pushing at the time.

As someone that cares about Video Quality more then I care about audio quality I hope the best format (most stunningly looking format) wins I think its pretty laughable when people argue that the disadvantage of Dolby Vision is that you need to pay a license for it. After all top of the line 4k HDR TVs are selling for 3000 $ and more so the license fee in the end really does not matter at all for someone that is on the market for a new high end TV.

Well licence fee is one topic but device lock down the other.
So if you hope that Dolby Vision wins than unfortunately you need to start looking for a new media player

HDR10+ has licensing factors too; this isn’t the main issue IMHO.

I have plenty of TVs in my house so my vero’s will still see plenty of use even when my main system runs a media player with DV support

It isn’t really about the licensing but more about the closed down nature which locks out projects like OSMC completely.

You also need to realize that for DV you need to use it in the entire process of film-making so that means ka-tching in every step of the process. Nice business model but people will really need to want this for someone to invest in it.

I’m happy with my current setup (1080p, 5.1) and in 5 years or so I’ll have a look what has won.

I’m pretty much at the same stage right now but friends have bought 4k HDR TVs that support DV and it just looks stunning. So I don’t think I’ll want to wait 5 years but I’ll try to wait till 2020 or so and see what happens in the time. But as someone said in this thread before let’s hope the best format wins and not the cheapest one.

I know Dolby Vision locks out open source projects such as OSMC and that’s very sad but I personally use vero 4k because Its the best media box I know off and not because I would have a special love for open source projects… I mean I do appreciate it but if Sam and Co decided to go down the proprietary route I’d still love and support them

Regardless if I prefer DolbyVision (based on UHD blu-rays viewed on Oppo UDP-203, or movies/tv-shows on Apple TV 4K). HDR with dynamic curve applied by LG 2017 model looks very similar to HDR10+ - hence great. So I manage with what I got currently.