Dolby Vision

If you’re watching something on OSMC, Dolby Vision isn’t in the equation at all. OSMC does behaves as if the Dolby Vision data doesn’t even exist. If you’re seeing videos on OSMC that are purple and green, you have a different issue. I’d suggest starting another thread for that conversation.

1 Like

I’m talking about this comment from Sam Dolby Vision - #19 by sam_nazarko
Some “acquired” content is DV and will have purple and green hues, like here: Vero 4K+ - Totally wrong colours on 4K MP4 playback - #5 by Rouzax

Sam mentioned they might be able to workaround that.

1 Like

No, this is indeed on-topic, Kyle. Purple and green is exactly what you get playing a Dolby Vision Profile 5 stream without DV support. It uses a proprietary version of the IPT colourspace instead of YUV.

2 Likes

Follow mode , interesting

As I am slowly looking for a new streaming hardware with Kodi, I would love to pay an extra fee for DV support, but I read in other topic that DV won’t be supported :frowning:
Sad news for me.

I believe the new soc supports it but theres overly expensive licensing costs. There are devices that will do it on other platforms. I notice more and more hybrid releases but as my tvs are samsung im not bothered and I’m sure most people would not prefer the extra expense.

As I understand it, it’s not a question of money, it’s a question of architecture and legality. To license DV imposes severe restrictions on the way the OS architecture is allowed to work. To comply with the licensing conditions would require a substantial part of the OS to become closed source, which would fundamentally change the nature of the whole OSMC project to an extent that the people behind it aren’t comfortable with - the name stands for “Open Source Media Centre”, after all.

8 Likes

Dolby is annoying.
I sure hope the future is paved with royalty free HDR10+!
I hope some genius out there figures out how to convert DV titles to HDR10+.
I would convert all my DV UHD discs to HDR10+ MKVs in a heart beat.

1 Like

I am afraid the future has been already paved unfortunately. There are way more DV content over HDR10+ which seems to me is pushed by Samsung or Amazon Prime only.
My DV story started when my old plasma TV died, so I bought new one. In my case OLED tv which has the DV support. In fact all new TV on market have it.
You won’t be watching DV in live streams using PVR client, but if you want to see any .mkv remux in DV, then you will be angry you spent XXXX$ for TV that has the capability and your small 10x cheaper entertainment centre doesn’t. Life span of these small boxes is around 5 year at the most, so you will probably look for something that has DV too.
First of all I paid a VOD service who has DV content to see if it is really worth. And I can tell it was way better than what I could watch in HDR or HDR10+.
Based on this experience I was sure I want replacement box for my older Vero 4K+. Unfortunately Vero V didn’t support DV, so I bought different brand. Then I also paid for calibration of my TV screen and I have to say that an extra cost for buying DV licensed box was good upgrade.
You probably won’t care much if you have Samsung TV.

HDR10+ is a dead format walking. Even Amazon (the last hold-out on the source side) has started to switch to DV. And many TV brands have stopped supporting it - if they ever did in the first place. I really think the only reason the format even existed at all was Samsung’s irrational reluctance to support DV.

I don’t think you can call Samsung’s challenge to DV irrational but probably inevitably doomed. They’re a big player, after all. My impression is Dolby won by being closer to the studios and the cinema chains through their audio kit.

It would be irrational not to support HDR10+ though. It must cost nothing in hardware. I wonder if Dolby are insisting manufacturers remove it? HDR10+ can probably achieve results as good as DV but the problem I suspect is no-one in studios is spending the time to perfect gradings for the format and no TV manufacturer but Samsung wants to spend time perfecting the decoding.

Vero will not support conversion of DV to HDR10+ in my lifetime. That would indeed be irrational.

Samsung owners can invest in a HDFury device.

Some of Samsung’s business decisions definitely come down to an irrational hatred of LG. That’s the reason why they never made any TVs that use an RGBW OLED panel - that panels were all being manufactured by LG Display. They may have some other irrational dislikes that I don’t know about! :smiley:

3D playback for example :laughing:

Alas, Samsung is not alone in that particular irrational dislike. :sob:

I know … :cry:

I have an LG OLED and I can watch Dolby Vision.
Some titles are very noticeably better, others you are hard pressed to see the difference between HDR and Dolby Vision.
It really all depends on the authoring.
I have some BDs I think look better than the UHDs because who ever was in control of making the UHD botched it.
Heat comes to mind (I have a preset that I use just to fix that UHDs presentation).

My point was that I hope the future has royalty free dynamic metadata.

I wouldn’t tag Samsung as irrational. If Samsung would have accepted Dolby Vision, no serious contenders would be out there against the draconian Dolby strategies, fees and techniques.

It’s the strong control of the pro tools in all the links of the video production / distribution, and the brand itself which make Dolby so strong.

But none of that changes the fact that with DV some contents can be more enjoyable. DV enhancements should be only valuable in highlights, but sadly thats not true.

Dolby just try to put he “basic” quality in HDR10 and uses DV to keep some contrast enhancements in its closed/non-free ecosystem with its tools and workflows. HDR10 and even more HDR10+ are technically fully capable to deliver frames as “good” as DV.

I see It like MQA, Snake oil, but if you control also the “basic/standard” product you just nerf it (no matter how technically good is) to make your private one perceptually “better/different” than the free one.

Nothing new under the Sun.

But there is hope. Some active tone mapping algorithms deliver great experience without needing Dolby closed products, some just apply DV over HDR10, but there are more.

1 Like

On the Xiaomi Box S (2nd gen) I just enabled the developer tools, ran fastboot flashing unlock and was able to flash a modified firmware with root enabled. Dolby Vision continued working without any problems.

It uses the S905X4 SoC, so from my understanding, it should be easy to now run CoreElec, LibreElec, and Armbian.

Have you actually done that?
I.e. booted another OS.

I’ve since read the licensing terms. If that’s at all possible, that’s an instant revoke of license and a hefty fine from a couple of parties.

From the perspective of AML devices: any loopholes will soon be closed with new updates.

That’s why we work on a long term solution

For those that were patient and believed in us, we have some news…

3 Likes