Dolby Vision

That’s not my issue… I get all that stuff!!!

Sam said, Have you actually seen DV?

What the hell did he mean by that???

Yes I Have actually seen DV… why @sam_nazarko

Perhaps if you had quoted his question, or had framed your question in response without so much ambiguity, then it would have been made clear. Also, I don’t see the need for you to have such an aggressive tone. It is not going to drive any positive result on this forum.

2 Likes

Why are you guys beating me up about this…
I don’t care if you release a new Vero box that supports Dolby Vision, I said in my post, if you did, I would be willing to pay at least a £20 premium…
So for example, if there was a Vero Box4, and a VeroBox4+Doibly Vision, I would be happy to pay £20 more for the VeroBox4+dolby vision.
That’s what I said… why are you all beating me up as through I am demanding a Dolby Vision Box NOW, and that I am so naive about all the “complexities” around Dolby Vision?

Honestly, it depends on the television. On my faithful old LG G6, DV looks very much better than HDR10 - not subtly, it really is a night and day difference. But it depends a lot on how good the automatic HDR10 tone mapping is, and on whether the DV implementation is bug-free. In theory, DV not only gives the opportunity for HDR to be tone-mapped in a way that is optimised for the display in question, it also allows a certain amount of authorial control over how that process works; and it allows different tone-mapping to be used for each scene instead of forcing the same approach for the entire film; and I think it may possibly even allow different approaches to be used for different parts of the screen in the dual-layer case (I may have got the wrong end of the stick about that last one). But obviously none of this matters if the DV implementation on the display doesn’t do what it’s supposed to.

with the greatest respect, why the hell are you chipping in???
I done a @ sam, so I will wait to here from him, the opinions you have posted about me, are your opinions

The issue is not merely a technical one, it’s a licensing one; and it’s not merely about the cost of the licensing, it’s about the additional contractual restrictions Sam and co. would have to agree to in order to legally implement it. OSMC is, as the name implies, an Open Source Media Centre. If they were required to abandon the entire open source nature of the project in order to support DV legally, you can see why they might be reluctant to do that.

1 Like

@angry.sardine
Guys, stop and read what I posted…
Do you know what, I probably know more about this than you, I’m 58 and have worked in media delivery, software, as a manger…
Dolby Vision is a mess, I said that in my post… read my post…
Again, I AM NOT DEMARNDING a DOLBY VISION BOX, all I said, and I was trying to be helpful to Sam as a consumer, I would be happy to pay a £20 premium…

I’m a moderator. See that icon next to my username? When I logged in I saw notices that someone flagged several of your posts so I read through your recent posts to evaluate the situation. My “opinions” that I posted about you (that you have an aggressive tone) are informed entirely from what you have typed in this thread. This is a support site. If you want to shitpost there are better places on the internet to do so. We take a lite touch here, but there are limits.

2 Likes

@darwindesign
Okay, nice to meet you, please explain what I have done wrong?

If you think you know better than most here, which is extremely unlikely, why dont you offer to work on dv yourself.

Also im not being funny but if you cant see the attitude in your posts put the bottle down. Or read back and think how other people take it, you’ve been slating the person who runs the whole show. He could say you know what im done.

I doubt it just because of you, people have a passion. Carry on with cobol or pascal or what bang up to date language you’re using but don’t be offensive.

Mark

1 Like

Account deleted on the user’s request.

I just wondered if the user had seen Dolby Vision in person or was still struggling to get a compliant video chain. I’m curious how much of a difference people are seeing on consumer displays with some seeing they see little to no difference and some saying it’s significant…

I mean, that’s bound to depend on the display - and indeed on the material. I will happily admit that one of the reasons why DV looks so much better than HDR10 on my TV is that the HDR10 tone-mapping is a bit flaky; in particular, the tone mapping for 4000nit stuff is badly broken. If it’s a display where the DV implementation is a bit twitchy then you’d likely see the reverse.

It depends as well on things like whether there is (for example) one specific scene in the film that is much brighter than every other scene - if there is, then using the static metadata that HDR10 requires is significantly limiting. Then there are issues like whether the TV has been professionally calibrated - DV sometimes doesn’t allow much in the way of calibration. All in all, you can’t really expect the amount of difference to be consistent.

1 Like

There is a difference between DV and HDR10, whether that difference is big or small doesn’t matter as while there are competitors offering boxes with DV they will probably get chosen over one that doesn’t. I’m currently only using my Vero for 3D because as a projector user there is a big benefit in being able to use LLDV.

Do people use 3d anymore, and is dv or hdr that great on a projector, i assume you need to be in a pitch black room? Just honest questions, if a projector can beat a top end tv I’ll start looking but im guessing price is a factor still?

Can you expand that, please? What I’m inferring is you have Vero->3DTV and someDVenableddevice->projector. And is the projector DV capable or are you using the HDFury subterfuge to get your DV source to output LLDV?

Short answer, I’m seeing some benefit, but I’ve had to experiment a lot.

Long answer: my goodness, DV is complicated, and for me it fails the “it just works” test, even from disc.

My only HDR/DV display is a Panny HZ980 OLED. Overall very pleased but no doubt there are better displays on the market. HDR10 mostly looks excellent. The TV has 3 DV picture modes, DV vivid, DV IQ and DV Dark. The IQ and Dark modes have fixed settings that I do not like, but I’ve been able to adjust the DV Vivid mode to give a colour/contrast profile that seems a reasonable match for my regular picture mode, though in comparing DV with HDR10 I’ve no way of knowing if there are confounding variables at work, so I’m wary of interpreting differences when comparing DV to HDR10 as being definitely attributable to DV itself, rather than something else that the TV might be doing.

I have tested DV from my ATV/Disney+, from a Sony X700 (build quality of a cereal box and an awful UI) and profile-8 converted mkvs played via ATV/Infuse. In all cases I generally dislike display-led DV, as often dark scenes are boosted as if someone switched the lights on, and player-led DV looks much closer to HDR10+ on titles that have both (e.g. Back to the Future 1-3). I don’t know if this is a generic issue with display-led DV or an issue with the Panny display.

I can’t see a difference between the Sony X700 playing a DV FEL title from disc vs ATV/Infuse playing a profile-8 converted file. which drops the FEL, but maybe I’m not looking closely enough.

Differences between my preferred player-led DV and HDR10 are generally subtle and favour DV, and sometimes DV is a fair bit better. I recently acquired Star Trek 6 on UHD and I noticed that regardless of platform, HDR10 playback always gives a curiously dark profile to the first scene on the Enterprise bridge. I’ve not found a satisfactory way of fixing that via a TV picture mode that retains balance across scenes. However, player-led DV provides a much more pleasing result, the scene just looks right, with no contrast grading issues elsewhere. Possibly a better display would do a better job in rendering the HDR10 version, but for now DV is sometimes offering a clear improvement with my profile-8 converted files, even though the profile 8 version is in effect just MEL (as I understand it).

1 Like

Yes.

It can be very impressive, if the tone mapping is good enough.

My first venture into HDR was a Panny EX700 (HDR10 and HLG only). I spent the first week fiddling with the settings and ended up turning just about everything off. That, too, would keep changing the backlight at will - the most annoying thing being it changing as subtitles came and went. Apart from that I was quite happy until I replaced it with an OLED :slight_smile: Now I get a far better picture which is due to the OLEDs rather than the DV capability.

I’m not well versed in the different DV profile versions let me start by stating that :joy:

I would be very happy if certain acquired DV content would not be purple and green anymore.
If that would be possible without the need for a DV license with all its complications that would be great.