Dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/rbp2-device-osmc_1.4.1_armhf.deb

Hi,

First, thanks for a very useful forum. I’ve learned quite a bit and solved countless issues with solutions found here.

The problem I haven’t found the solution to is this. I had put away my Raspberry Pi 3 from 6/23 to 9/4 when I pulled it back out off the shelf to start using it again. Mainly this was due to frustration while trying to get live TV to work with my existing equipment; another issue altogether which is mostly solved. Anyhow, I keep fairly good notes on what I do to the Pi as far as installing software and any error messages. I’ve been getting errors when I run sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade such as this:

Preparing to unpack .../rbp2-device-osmc_1.4.1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking rbp2-device-osmc (1.4.1) over (1.3.3) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/rbp2-device-osmc_1.4.1_armhf.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/share/alsa/cards/JustBoomDigi.conf', which is also in package libasound2-data 1.0.28-1+rpi3
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/rbp2-device-osmc_1.4.1_armhf.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

This has been going on for a while longer than I remembered as I can see from checking my notes. Back in April, I had the same issue with older versions as shown here:

Unpacking rbp2-device-osmc (1.3.8) over (1.3.3) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/rbp2-device-osmc_1.3.8_armhf.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/share/alsa/cards/JustBoomDigi.conf', which is also in package libasound2-data 1.0.28-1+rpi2

and yet again in June:

Unpacking rbp2-device-osmc (1.4.0) over (1.3.3) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/rbp2-device-osmc_1.4.0_armhf.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/share/alsa/cards/JustBoomDigi.conf', which is also in package libasound2-data 1.0.28-1+rpi2

Formalities:
The issue you are currently experiencing with OSMC:
I can’t install rbp2-device-osmc_1.4.1_armhf.deb.

What you were doing when this issue occurred?
I ran sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.

Whether you can replicate this issue on demand. If you can, then please provide some steps on how an OSMC developer can reproduce the same issue.
Yes, I can replicate it on my RPi with sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.

The device you are currently running OSMC on:
Raspberry Pi 3.

What peripherals are attached to the device?
A Firefly remote control receiver via USB and a Philips HD TV via HDMI.

Has this issue been introduced by a new version of OSMC? When did the issue first appear and can you recall a time when it was not present?
It seems to have started back in April, but I don’t know the timing of OSMC updates.

My full set of logs uploaded to https://paste.osmc.tv/satixogoca.

I’ve not found a way to get this resolved. I’m fairly comfortable with Linux, yet not willing to try removing ‘libasound2-data 1.0.28-1+rpi3’ without the recommendation from those much more knowledgeable than myself. And if removed, being the ALSA drivers and configuration files, sounds to me like I’ll be needing it again afterwards. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!

deb http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ jessie main

That’s your problem.

You have Raspbian’s repository on your system, but OSMC for Pi2/Pi3 is based on upstream Debian. This could actually cause quite a few weird problems on your system; so I would recommend reinstalling from scratch

Just to add to what Sam has said, I downloaded the Debian version of libasound2-data and it doesn’t contain the file JustBoomDigi.conf.

Thanks Sam and dillthedog for the very quick replies!

Yes, besides the fact I should never have added that repo just to install a useful gpio library I couldn’t find elsewhere at the time, I definitely should have removed it immediately afterwards.

Since removing the offending entry from /etc/apt/sources.list, cleaning apt cache and removing some packages, then running apt-get update didn’t immediately present a clear path to take, reinstalling from scratch is agreed to be my best option. Who knows what else might improve as a result.

Thanks again!

I believe it can be installed from pip instead.