Dropping frames randomly

Hi all.

I’ve got three separate vero 4K devices, all Ethernet wired, all dropping frames randomly during playback of pretty much any files.

I’ve only been having this issue since upgrading everything to the latest version, never an issue when running the older version that shared mysql with my older rpi3 boxes.

Is there an obvious setting I may be missing from all three boxes? They’re pretty much default settings, just a few audio tick boxes set for my amps.

I recall on the older version of osmc there was a tick box for matching video start/stop which fixed a similar issue, but as that seems to be enabled by default on this latest version, I guess it’s not that.

Some logs should give us some hints. Have you tried playing a file from local storage?

Hi Sam,

I’ve not tried anything from a local drive, if it was easy to replicate I probably would have already though.

Just dropped the logs here:

https://paste.osmc.tv/netowipipo

It actually just happened again right now, so I’ve stopped it and uploaded fresh logs. Hopefully it’s easier to find.

/uvamutaqal

Sorry for the late reply. Can you upload debug logs?

Sam

Hi Sam,

Luckily I haven’t downgraded them to the older version yet, logs below.

Hopefully these logs demonstrate another annoying feature I’m experiencing with this latest version. Stopping a file, then restarting and it just constantly “buffering” whilst not playing the file.

No idea whether this is helpful or not though.

https://paste.osmc.tv/iruvucizey

That’s a known issue, and I’m already on it.

1 Like

Great, as it has started to happen with my 4K+.

I’m not sure if the logs I provided are any good. I now realise perhaps you wanted debug logs of when the issue with the stuttering happens? Can you confirm please and I’ll sort that out and re-upload.

This should now be fixed.

To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Run the following command to add the staging repository:
    echo 'deb http://apt.osmc.tv bullseye-devel main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list
  3. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  4. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you remove /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list after updating.

This will deactivate the staging repository. You can do so with the following command:
sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/osmc-devel.list.

Please note that we will automatically disable this update channel after 14 days on your device in case you forget to do so to ensure that your system reverts to the stable update channel.

Ok, I’ve updated them all, will give it a test tonight hopefully and report back. Thanks.

1 Like

Thank you. Looking forward to your feedback.

I’ll get some logs later, but I think it might be worse than it was, or at best, the same as it was. Just a heads up really.

Do you need the logs/debug logs whilst it’s happening?

Yes.

Here you go. The video lock-ups were happening every 5 mins or under - audio has never been affected by the way, I forgot to say that before.

Happened on two different movies last night. I’m still kind of hoping someone’s going to point to a setting that’s wrong, but thanks for your help.

https://paste.osmc.tv/picupasicu

However, it’s worth saying, I’ve just watched something else and it didn’t lock up once. Not a single glitch over 2’30" total. Could this be a codec issue? I’ll happily send you the details of the file I’ve just watched if it helps (and you tell me how you want it - I’m on a Mac)?

Possibly, but I’d be surprised.

Can you name a problematic file so I can check the log?

I’ve deleted the files now, so can’t find the filenames, but Oppenheimer was extremely problematic and was easy to demonstrate the issue when I uploaded the logs, since I did that though, the couple of things we’ve watched seemed to be fine. They won’t be on those logs as it was after. Would you like more debug logs of it “working”?

I have the same problem (I saw your topic but I opened a new one because I thought it was different) and I feel like it’s due to DV.

The file I tried to watch has Dolby Vision profile 8 and I get freezes every 5 minutes during the playback. I watched some other movies which have not any DV and they are played correctly.

Since the last update is related to Dolby Vision, I guess it not implemented correctly yet, probably because of the profile 8 (which is not the profile used on UHD BDs) :man_shrugging:t2:

Does the “buggy file” you tried to watch have any DV? :thinking:

Can you share the file with us?
If it’s Profile 8 it should have an HDR fallback layer and not be a problem at all.

Cheers

Sam