Dsi screen blanks out when kodi loads

Hello all, I am having an issue with a generic dsi screen I purchased off of ebay here to replace my official raspberry pi touchscreen (which gave up the ghost) blanking out when the kodi screen loads. The screen works when the osmc spash screen loads, but then the screen cycles through black, white, red, green, blue repeatedly when kodi loads. I am lead to think that somehow the resolution of kodi is out of range and I have tried to fix the resolution in /boot/config.txt, but no go. What’s going on and what do I need to edit to fix this?

It is better to edit /boot/config-user.txt so your changes don’t get removed with updates. What settings did you use? Did you try this…

hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87
hdmi_cvt=800 480 60 6 0 0 0
hdmi_drive=1

/boot/config-user.txt

framebuffer_width=800
framebuffer_height=480
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87
hdmi_cvt 800 480 60 6 0 0 0

ops… as usual @darwindesign is quicker =)

1 Like

Yep, I tried those. No go.

I’ve never played with one of those screens but if those settings didn’t work, and there were no other changes made to config.txt then I would try to boot it with noobs or raspberry pi os and see what happens. You might also try reseating the ribbon cable and try a more powerful PSU.

It works fine with raspberry pi os. Haven’t tried NOOBS.

There would be no need to try noobs if it works correctly with Pi os. That was just looking for a check to make sure it was an os setting issue and not something with the hardware.

I would suggest to do a “grab-logs -A” via ssh when it is color cycling and post the resulting url in this thread.

I haven’t been able to get past the installer because this display is the only one I have handy right now and I can’t see what osmc is doing due to it blanking out and going through colors. I can’t ssh because it won’t connect to my router. I will have to get the logs off the sd card directly if I can.

I was able to fix this problem using the thread here, where i change

dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d

to

dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d

in config.txt and config-user.txt

2 Likes