DTS-HD-MA not always recognised on Denon and Marantz

Remind me - have you tested playing DTS-HD-MA with another device (PC/NUC perhaps)?

And sometimes DTS-HD MA work, and I see ā€œDTS-HD MAā€ in recieverā€™s display.
I have tested with Windows PC, with MPC and bitstream on when the topic started. It works always.

Those tables have always been kinda wonky on the Marantz/Denon-website. The actual product page for the X540BT lists DTS-HD MA and so does Amazon.

also, it used to work before, not like the denon lost its ability to decode all of a sudden.

Yes, I tested with a very old celeron NUC running same KODI version , and Denon AVR ALWAYS works fine with it. Only with the Vero4K there is issue.
Also I got a Vero4K+ yesterday, and the issue is not fixed.
Bit disappointed, after 10 months, no fix.

As @grahamh pointed out, the really big issue with HRA and mostly Denon/Marantz AVRs was fixed a while ago and as we didnā€™t hear back from you, weā€™d assumed this issue was related and therefore also fixed.
But weā€™ll try getting this fixed as well. The issue is very weird though as only very few AVRs are affected now and we havenā€™t been able to reproduce the issue ourselves yet.

Hi,
I reported the issue initially, 12 months ego.
No fix till today.
I would like to have DTS-HD-MA working on my Denon, so i need a honest answer
if this will be fixed or not. If not I have to replace the vero with a different device.
thank you in advance

At this time, weā€™re not sure what the issue is. We know it only affects a small number of receivers, but we donā€™t know why.

We will continue to improve audio and fix things as they come up. Unfortunately in this circumstance weā€™re not sure what needs to be done to make DTS-HD MA work with these receivers.

I did have one idea in the last few days. Do you see any difference between playing a 8-bit video and a 10-bit video?

To test 8 bits if you have updated to the October release, you will have to force it with echo 8bitnow | sudo tee /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr

Previously I used Marantz AV8802a, never any issues. Now I use Trinnov Altitude32, same here - audio always works in correct format if it is PCM, DTS, DD, DD+, DTS-HR, TrueHD, DTS-HD.MA, Atmos, DTS:X or any other variations of these formats on both Vero 4K and Vero 4K+. So suspect there is something iffy with the chipset used on the cheapest Denon and Marantz (the use the same components).

What receiver are you using, @LED123?

I have a Denon AVR-X4200W and have zero issues with DTS-HD MA (or any other audio formats) using a 7.1.2 setup.

Itā€™s all about the Denon AVR-X520BT, Denon AVR-X540BT and Marantz NR1501 here - entry-level D+M AVRs.

I have the
Denon AVR-X540BT

Long shot, but can you try the latest (staging) repository?

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv stretch-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s related but I used to have a Marantz NR1501 and, although it was fine with a Sony BD player, I had all sorts of problems with dts-MA disappearing on pause from an Oppo BD player. Marantz updated the firmware for me which mostly fixed it but it was never quite right. I now have the NR1608 which doesnā€™t have that problem. The update was in July 2011.

Hi, just got my Vero4k+ today and everything works fine but DTS-HD passthrough doesnā€™t play properly, Iā€™ve got the Denon X520BT, which seems to be having problems. It worked perfectly fine with PC and my former Nvidia Shield, which I returned.

I tried edit the sources.list as Sam said, but it says ā€œPermission deniedā€.

DTS-HD-MA or DTS-HD-HRA?

DTS-HD-MA, never seen HRA to be honest.

Not directly related but who knows. The Marantz 6012 has zero issues with the Vero but itā€™s very ā€œdemandingā€ with the pace/clock of the sources. I mean it works flawlessly with 23.976, 24, 25, ā€¦etcā€¦ but it has issues with 23.98 (the Zidoo X9S gave me some troubles). Maybe, just maybe, the board of those older receivers can work well with 24p but some combination of audio sources and not-perfectly-inside-receiver-specs just breaks the signal recognition, some kind of ā€œlack of syncā€ā€¦ maybe CEC packets/messages ā€¦