Dual Ethernet Support?

Hi, looking to buy one of these, but can anyone confirm if dual Ethernet is supported?

1 LAN with the built in ethernet and the other with a USB Gigabit adaptor?

I currently use this on windows with speedify, but there are also other methods, anything work with OSMC on this box?

(Or combined ethernet and wifi would also be fine)

Thanks!

Yes, it works. I’ve connected an Anker Gigabit ethernet adapter to the Vero4k and 2 x LAN cables.
But you don’t get full 100 MB/s speed, only around 33-34 MB/s.

Thanks! But it does combine the speed available of both to use for streaming etc?

I.e my fibre is currently 55mit on each line, so I combine both with speedily and get around 100mbit which is available for kodi, plex etc.

Will this give me the same?

That would require link aggregation, which only managed network equipment can do. And even then there’s “only” double the bandwidth, but it can’t be split for one single stream IMHO. You’d only benefit from the extra bandwidth when there are two different streams running at the same time: One could use ethernet port 1, the other ethernet port 2, which would happen automatically as soon as ethernet port 1 can’t handle the bandwidth of both streams properly anymore. And that doesn’t even mean, Vero 4k would support any sort of link aggregation… So, the reply is probably a no.

Yes that is what I do now. It doesn’t need managed network equipment, just the right software. In windows that is something called Speedify and also things like dispatch-proxy (no longer supported but works well) also iNetFusion+

They all bundle the two or more connections together to provide a nice fast single pipe, works well. It doesn’t work in Android as Android doesn’t support more than one active network connection it seems. Was hoping it would work on this with it being based on Linux rather than Android.

Looking more into it, it seems dispatch-proxy has a linux port I wonder if this would work? GitHub - alexkirsz/dispatch-proxy: Combine internet connections, increase your download speed

Test and report here.

Don’t want to purchase if it wont work, thats the issue. If it doesn’t work it’s no use to me. I’ll do some more research.

Sorry, but just to be sure: Your aim is to reach a minimum of 100 mbit = 10 MB/s, only?

What is your use scenario for this? Just asking to get a better understanding of what you’re planning to do…
The fast ethernet of the Vero 4k should be sufficient for almost any scenario that the Vero 4k is made for.

Basically my fibre maxes out at 55mbit/sec, so I have another fibre line. So both around 55mbit/sec each. On Windows I currently bundle both together which gives me the combined speed of both. This allows be to stream high bit rate media.

An example is some UHD files via plex are 76mbit, so I can’t stream using only one of the 55mbit connections, so I combine both and it works.

I’m struggling to understand your setup. Am I correct that you have:

2 x 55m fibre connections to your home
Are attempting to stream from a Plex server not located in your home, so over the fibre connection(s)?

It can be done (you have a full linux OS after all), but you will struggle to find anyone that’s tested it here I suspect

Yes that’s correct. Remotely streaming I.e not local network, else it would be fine of course.

I think I have a solution! Connectify hotspot, it installs on windows machine, I then have it setup to use wired mode instead of wireless hotspot mode, then I connect one fibre with Ethernet and the other with WiFi, they share the speedily virtual adaptor, then I have Ethernet cable from windows machine to another device and it works!

A bit long winded but it works so I can now purchase this device. If I can then do it simpler, great, if not then at least I have a fallback solution.

Wouldn’t a better solution be a router that just combines the 2 fibres so all of your devices can share them? I won’t comment on the strange slow speed of your fibre as the best I can get is satellite :wink:

1 Like

Ha, yes that would be better but I’m not sure the ones I have saw do what I want, they seem to just offer redundancy from connecting two connections, rather than bundling them into one big pipe? Please do correct me if there is something out there! :slight_smile:

pfSense offers this feature. Netgate sells hardware with pfSense installed. You can also get other small form factor hardware and install pfSense. I bought a Netgate device, because the price/performance was about the best. Other than their most entry level box, they can handle 1Gbps throughput with millions of open connections.

You’d need a device with at least 3 Ethernet ports (one to connect to your LAN, and one for each WAN link). Something like this.

2 Likes