DVB-T dongle not working after 2015-08-03 update

Issues are not resolved with 4.2.3-3-osmc, and I wish someone could make rbp1-image-3.18.13-1-osmc available somewhere…

For those interested, the only way I found to roll back to 3.18.13-1-osmc was to reinstall OSMC version 2015.06-1 from scratch using the installer, then
sudo apt-mark hold rbp2-kernel-osmc
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

It’s redundant to run both of these. Just use dist-upgrade. upgrade is a subset of dist-upgrade.

I know, and I wonder why I even had to dist-upgrade (kodi did not get updated by upgrade, but dist-upgrade did not uninstall anything).
Anyway anything went right. Only thing that didn’t work OOTB is that the default tvheadend password (osmc/osmc) was not set in kodi.

Updated to 4.3 to try a thing and now I can’t go back…

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo apt-get install rbp1-image-3.18.13-1-osmc --reinstall
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Reinstallation of rbp1-image-3.18.13-1-osmc is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Where can I find the package to download?

November update:

haven’t tried mine out yet, but hopefully we can all finally tune in again. ( fingers crossed )

The RPi2 Nov-2015 update works for me now. No more i2c errors in dmesg output and I can tune in stations. That was an upstream fix which appears to have been caused by not following the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” golden rule.

I did a clean install by using the disk image and keys to enable the MPG2 codec.

However the performance is dreadful on my unit. dvb-t 1080 HD TV has major issues and is un-watchable and tends to cause all stations to become corrupted and need to reboot and SD is not good either as there are constant frame drops where the video seems to freeze for very small periods of time and the sound and video often lose sync. The signal strength is good.

I have two identical dvb-t dongles and they both act the same on the RPi2 but both work well under a Linux PC.

I have a Minix x8-h connected via Gigabit Ethernet back to the RPi2 which runs the tvheadend client and I can configure that to watch TV with the RPi2 acting as the server. This seems to run quite well so it seems as if the RPi2 OSMC is having issues with rendering the video.

I’ve noticed the video issues since OSMC started to use the 4.x series of Kernels and I don’t think it’s confined to Live-TV only. I would have to question what configuration settings are being used when building the Kernel. Is the Kernel config file available for download?

My wildest guess would be osmc/package/kernel-osmc at master · osmc/osmc · GitHub

see my message above:

The main issue I was having was that the MPG2 codec was not installed even though I had installed it. When I run “vcgencmd codec_enabled MPG2” it claimed it was not installed but I remember having to reboot after setting the key.

I repeated the exercise (and double checked) and now things appear to be much smoother. It would explain why it worked from a tvheadend client on my Minix box and browser without the issues. Not convinced yet about the small frame stuttering losses though but that is probably off topic here anyway.

The git repo is going to show you the latest kernel config, (that we might not have even built yet let alone pushed to users) not necessarily the one you’re using.

As a matter of fact the config file is on the /boot partition of your device, for example /boot/config-4.3.0-9-osmc

I had my kernel update on hold at 3.18 until yesterday.

I then decided to upgrade to the latest kernel and it is finally fixed.

I am now on 4.3.0-10-osmc and I no longer have problems with my tuner :slight_smile:

@fredyd do you know how boot 2015.06-1 on rasp 3? When I try I get only a colored screen and system hangs.

Because such an old version will not support the Pi3.

thanks for information.

do you have any idea if it’s possible to downgrade kernel to 3.8.* in 2016.02-3 ?

Unlikely… Why not allow us to assist with whatever you are attempting to resolve?

I need my rtl2832 work on osmc.
There is an issue with driver in latest kernels.

@trofim the DVB-T dongle works again with the latest kernel, there should be no need to downgrade anymore