DVD (ISO) MPEG2 Playback Choppy

I’m seeing the same behaviour too.

The ISO files use ff-mpeg2video, whereas the same mpeg2 content encapsulated as a single VOB or MKV file uses iMX-mpeg2 and the playback looks great.

It’s looks like I experience the same problems as a user.
Dvd-iso’s don’t start or have a lot of drops and skips.
With Mp4 I have a continuous click in de audio after a few minutes.
I have tried the software acceleration but no change.
It al runs fine on my RP1 with OSMC but not on the Vero.
(mkv’s are running flawless on the vero)

Anyone has any idea or when it will be fixed ?

The clicks are most likely of passthrough. As of now IMX cannot sync to fractional refreshrates. So if you play blurays it will play them at 60 hz or 24.0 hz depending on Adjust Refreshrate to match video settings. Neither does (3*23.976 + 2 *23.976) / 60 == 1 nor 23.976/24 == 1.

The only thing you can do is disable passthrough completely. Enable Sync Playback to Display with method Video Clock (a) - Resample Audio and output LPCM.

This is (as of the spec a hw limitation), devs search a way to compensate this by programming the PLL directly, but this won’t alter audio clock.

DVD-ISO:
Concerning the still frames, there was some code from popcornmix some time ago to care with those - this could help the vero and other imx hw in the mpeg-2 regard.

Edit: (a) As there is also no real video clock, cpu clock will be used to calc the next display of a frame.
(b): [dvdplayer] Allow dvd menus to work with hardware decoders by popcornmix · Pull Request #5641 · xbmc/xbmc · GitHub ← that’s for menus, but he also links to the code that currently disables it.

If you want to play alpha testers, adjust the above PR and change this line: xbmc/DVDPlayer.cpp at ecacfda9d7e19b42aa6455744fe3d6610a99035e · popcornmix/xbmc · GitHub to false or add
The clicks are most likely of passthrough. As of now IMX cannot sync to fractional refreshrates. So if you play blurays it will play them at 60 hz or 24.0 hz depending on Adjust Refreshrate to match video settings. Neither does (3*23.976 + 2 *23.976) / 60 == 1 nor 23.976/24 == 1.

The only thing you can do is disable passthrough completely. Enable Sync Playback to Display with method Video Clock (a) - Resample Audio and output LPCM.

This is (as of the spec a hw limitation), devs search a way to compensate this by programming the PLL directly, but this won’t alter audio clock.

DVD-ISO:
Concerning the still frames, there was some code from popcornmix some time ago to care with those - this could help the vero and other imx hw in the mpeg-2 regard.

Edit: (a) As there is also no real video clock, cpu clock will be used to calc the next display of a frame.
(b): [dvdplayer] Allow dvd menus to work with hardware decoders by popcornmix · Pull Request #5641 · xbmc/xbmc · GitHub ← that’s for menus, but he also links to the code that currently disables it.

If you want to play alpha testers, adjust the above PR and change this line:

#if defined(TARGET_RASPBERRY_PI) || defined(HAS_IMXVPU)
hints.software = false;
#else
hints.software = true;
#endif

same issue: all my movies are stored as DVD.ISO files on a network share which play fine on Raspbmc/OSMC on my Pi and on Geexbox on by Cubox-i4pro… but on the Vero it appears that about 10 frames play then 10 frames are skipped.

(Rc2… at least CEC is now working)

Please provide debug enabled logs that exhibit the issue.

please see http://paste.osmc.io/evagecuroh
… in this case the movie tested is 9.iso, though I have tested a good deal more.
…note that all movies are purchased and sit boxed up in my crawl space.

RC2 has a bug I introduced upstream - max 10 fps when VideoLayer is not active → fix is here: Application: Don't slow down videos rendered on GuiLayer by fritsch · Pull Request #6944 · xbmc/xbmc · GitHub

Btw. RC2 will play all files with 10 fps that are not hw accelerated.

Thanks alot for the fast action fritsch, this is the last dealbreaker for me before Vero is really usable.

The code with the bug in it was only introduced in the RC2 build of Kodi. There is an easy work around until we can get an updated Kodi build out.

Go to Settings->Video->Acceleration, change “Limit GUI updates when playing video” to “Off”. (You might need advanced or expert settings mode to see this option)

This will revert to the pre-RC2 behaviour for software decoding.

Maybe i’m confused but playing DVD ISO’s (or TS_Video folders in my case) was always using dc:ff-mpeg2video , also in RC1, in other words not working?

That’s a different thing. DVD Isos with still frames will most likely never use IMX hw decoding at all. But in RC2 all non hw accelerated content was “throttled” to 10 fps, which is a new bug. It was overseen in RC2 development - it is code that was targetted to Isengard v15 and when I press the button, it will be fixed in that upstream branch.

Ah yes, but the end result will be that DVD ISO’s with still frames should (no warranty provided) be playable on Vero? Because that is what this topic is about.

With v15 - at least all CPU cores will be used automatically on the fallback, if the vero is powerful enough - I don’t know, but as it is only mpeg-2 I assume - it works fine on my i4 pro which has 4 cores - no issues with any DVD isos at all.

Getting hw acclerated DVD isos going is more problematic, the patches available for the PI don’t help and you end up fully frozen. There is a strategy to implement different player behaviour, but no on started. As yeah - to be honest - DVD playback with mpeg-2, that is played back on CPU quite easily is not much of interest nowadays.

So try a Isengard nightly - if you have a spare SDcard an image of a competitor will also work right away to test, as long as there are no osmc nightly builds available.

The issue with low framerates has already been included in GitHub:

and is scheduled for release later today post-QA.

S

I will also try adjust hints.software. It would be good if you could test this and let me know if it improves your DVD playback performance.

Sam

I’ll try to test it tonight if i see an update.

Its weird i used to have choppy playback on RC1 but not on RC2 on raspberry pi2

The above bug only affects the Vero, that’s why.

@DBMandrake - No joy on playing dvd.ISO on Vero after Settings->Video->Acceleration, change “Limit GUI updates when playing video” to “Off”.

The DVD frame-rate is still VERY low.

Bump -> anything else I can provide to help in getting DVDs stored as ISO shares playing smoothly on the VERO like they do on Raspbmc/Rasperry Pi OSMC/Cubox Geexbox?

2 Likes