DVD (ISO) MPEG2 Playback Choppy

Bump → Another month later and still a brick for me :frowning:

Any chance that DVDs stored as ISO files playing with a watchable framerate on the VERO like they do on Raspbmc/OSMC on Rasperry-Pi/(Gen 1 & 2 B, A, and Gen 2 B) and the Cubox(i4 pro) Geexbox in the near future? Any other info I can provide so that a solution can be found?

Install geexbox on the vero and compare? Changing sdcards should be enough?

Are you up to date?

Sam

@fritsch — will try soon
@sam — how can I confirm the build version in OSMC? I plugged in last night for the first time since last trying ~22 days ago, told it to manually updated, saw updates downloading, then nothing. Came back 2 hours later and attempted to play a few diff ISOs.

(@Same, OT - OSMC works GREAT on my various Pis! Fantastic work mate).

Thanks guys.

@sam_nazarko. I just ran the updater again, this time it required a reboot and now I have a backup option under the osmc/update section. This option does not yet appear to be in the pi build.

1 - Blurays stored as MP4 play great
2 - DVDs stored as ISO still stutter like mad (my wife calls it the puke’n’test)

As an aside -> can I run the backup, then apply the backup to non-vero OSMC installs to transfer my tweaked interface layout/ustvnow/pandora settings?

@fritsch. Interesting.
I swapped cards -> Geexbox installed for the Cubox-i4pro runs great on the Vero (no DVD iso stutter). OSMC installed for the Vero does NOT boot in the Cubox-i4pro.

Sure why not. You would have to backup the addon folder as well. You can back up the guisettings.xml, but restoring it is not functional yet. The guisettings.xml can only be overwritten when kodi is shut down. You would need to restore it to a separate location, close kodi, and copy the restored xml over the original one via the command line.

@Landspeeder that’s good news. So it’s not the hw which has not enough oomph, but some sw bug.

All imx distributions out there run without modification on the vero (OE, xbian, arch, geexbox), so that’s not something surprising. osmc’s uboot is specially patched to not run on normal(*) imx hw, which seems to be a business decision, it’s for sure not a technical one. Efforts to get it running on non vero hw is minimal, though.

(*) To be fully correct here, osmc runs without modification on the CuBox-i2w, which is hw wise the same machine: https://www.tecsetter.de/SolidRun-CuBox-i2w-DualCore-inkl-WLAN-Bluetooth-und-Netzteil

1 Like

@Karnage -> I will try this soon with a fresh install to a PiB2. The Vero GUI is setup just as I want it to be (which took a long time to get ‘just right’) and it would be nice to not replicate on each device.

@fritsch and @sam_nazarko What do you guys need from me to help iron out this SW bug? I would really like to start using the Vero with OSMC.

@fritsch - nice link BTW

The RC3 is coming soon with a few fixes (Kodi + kernel). You should try then and see if it improves things

S

@Landspeeder I don’t really need anything, as I don’t own a vero and cannot reproduce on my i4 running other distributions. I am just from upstream and see if we have bugs in kodi. The geexbox test revealed that it is something special to osmc - which is hopefully ironed out with RC3.

I had choppy playback on RC2. Upgraded to RC3 and the choppyness is all gone for me.
The Vero just got so much faster and responsive with RC3.

Keep up the GREAT work. Thanks to the whole OSMC team

2 Likes

Some thanks to @fritsch and @mk01 are due too.

S

1 Like

@sam_nazarko.

The Bad: While DVDs as ISO play much more smoothly, Stuttering still exists. If I swap out any of the other devices to this same physical location (or load geexbox on the vero) playback is buttery smooth. What do you need from me to help iron out the wrinkle?

The Good: RC3 is beautiful, the interface is FAST, playback is smoother. The update process now gives better response.

What I look forward to trying soon: backup of the Vero as master and restore settings for interface/mappings/add-ons to other OSMC hardware devices.

1 Like

I’ve got exams from 21st to 28th. Will see if I get a bit of time to look then. This is definitely on my list. PS. is GeexBox a 15.x build or 14.x? Lots of changes and improvements coming to Isengard.

I’m heading out to DC through next week in a couple of days. Don’t sweat it during exams!
I’ll look soon regarding the GeexBox build (it is at least a year old).

Yup, I’m fairly excited for Isengard!

Unless you are using the snapshot build (and even then), I don’t think that Kodi or Xbmc is recent on Geexbox. I’m in the same boat as Landspeeder, using ISOs is slow, but I can wait. In the meantime I am converting some of them to mkv. Good luck to you with your exams !

Hi, how is the work with playing DVD ISO’s on the Vero going? I see that in the June stable release this is still not addressed.
Right now DVD ISO/IMG is unwatchable due to extremely low framerate. A little disappointed in that it cannot handle this as I have ripped a number of the kids DVDs that I still cannot play on this device.
Thanks.

I am in the same boat. I bought the Vero for that purpose. In the meantime I started using OSMC on the RPi2 but I would rather use the Vero for everything. I don’t know if this particular problem is a tough nut to crack, for for now I have a cute white cube gathering dust in my living room !! :smile:

@sam_nazarko -> could we have a test build of Isengard to try out Vero for ISO playback?

No Joy on Stable fixing the DVD ISO Stutter issue.

It looks like it is hardware related and probably cannot be solved. Unfortunate Sam hasn’t responded in the last 11 days on your question. More info can be found here:

Some bad news at the end, imx6 in general related. So it’s obviously not only the vero that is affected.

mk01 from xbian wanted to implement a reference clock on imx6 and found out some really bad things.
It seems the chip is neither able to display 50 fps / 60 fps over a longer time, but does internally just throw the pics away as it gets overloaded.

So whenever a vblank should come, normal hw would swap buffers to display the new picture, but imx6 is not fast enough to do so (at the above rates). So the HW itself just skips that frame entirely. It even does not report this vblank … when another next frame is ready and hw feels like rendering it it swaps and reports this vblank.

I think you figured what would happen if you would sync on the vblank … :frowning:

mk01 has found the place where the skips are force introduced and now could echo the vblank signal never the less … but yeah … getting 60 vsync signals, while the hw only renders ~ 40 … just sucks. This can even explain slow menus and currently I don’t see any fix for this, probably running the display in no more than 30 hz?

And another posting by fritsch (cleaned without the ranting):

Is it forbidden to say, that the vero has hardware incapabilities that are never going to be fixed? That this GC880 dual core is even too slow to play DVD images even with all of his two cores used? That it is not able to play LiveTV content in double rate that even ATV1 does - standard television? That the wireless is so fucked up, that it’s unusable for streaming? Even the spdif cable does not fit into the plug … That it’s not possible to render even the normal skin with > 48 fps over time. Disable dirty region and watch the sysinfo page …

Sorry, if one is not allowed to say the truth: That you are selling here a box, that will never do what it’s spec promis ? A former poster has linked at least 3 threads, that are open, not fixed since several months - and the worse here: that stuff is not fixable, cause the hw is not capable of doing it.