Early 4.9 testers wanted

With all due respect, I think you have to manage your expectations.

Many vendors tie themselves up to artificial deadlines they cannot realistically meet due to pressures from commercial/marketing and then release bad quality to meet those deadlines.

This is unfortunately these days the norm across the industry - see big name game title development for example. From what I’ve seen, team OSMC doesn’t do that. They release when the software is in a state that is sufficient for a quality release. And this is good, the way it should be.

In software development, and especially the kind of development OSMC does, often unforeseen issues arise that can push the release back several months. This is especially true for development with a (very) small team.

Having said that, I’ve seen Sam mentioning that there won’t be answers to “when?” questions from hereon, and I think that’s a good choice. The reply should always be “when it’s ready” - due to users like you (no disrespect, maybe you are not familiar with software development and/or open-source development and/or development with a small team).

My opinion, given my IT background, is that the developers are actually doing excellent job. I’m often at awe at what they manage to do given the constraints they have.

Just hoping the team will stick to “when it’s ready” from now on to not cause more disappointments.

1 Like