Emby DLNA profile for Vero4k

Has anyone by chance created a DLNA profile for the Vero4k to use on an emby server? (to tell the server what codecs it should transcode or what it should have the vero play direct)?

I’ve recently added an Emby server to my environment (mostly for DVR purposes) But currently, it’s sending everything to the Vero for direct play, including the codecs (AC4) that kodi (on the vero) can not currently handle.

And on the topic of AC4, which is now required to watch many over-the-air TV channels in the US as we switch to broadcasting in the ATSC3.0 standard, what are the chances of getting the patched version ffmpeg that can trancode it onto the vero?

Hi,

Kodi v21 should include an ffmpeg version modern enough to do this; but in the interim, passthrough should be possible.

Sam

At the moment, Emby is sending the audio as AC4 (according to the emby servier), and kodi thinks there is no audio stream, and simply plays the video without sound. So it’s not currently doing pass-through.

On other devices that are connecting to the emby server (roku, samsung tv, etc), emby is transcoding the ac4 into ac3 or acc (depending on the device). Presumably, that is because the DLNA profiles on the emby server are recognizing the devices and deciding what codecs are ok to send. My assumption is that I can create a DLNA profile to tell Emby to recognize the vero4k, and likewise tell emby to do similar transcoding for it as well. I’m a bit stumped how to set that up though. According to google there is no documentation on that subject… My attempts at setting up a DLNA profile have so far had no effect… I"m hoping someone here has done this before and know how to tell emby to identify a vero.

I’ve looked in to this – where in the US are you getting ATSC 3.0?
My understanding what was the FCC are dragging their feet on this and not mandating this in any way.

You could follow ac4 support here:

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/8349

ATSC3.0 has been rolling out in quite a few markets here.

I’ve currently got 5 atsc3.0 channels available. While most all ATSC3 channels are currently still simulcast on a different ATSC1 frequency (simulcast is required by the FCC through July of this year) , the ATSC3 ones have better picture quality (1080p at 60fps instead of 1080i or 720p at 30fps) and are more reliable (less artifacts when receiving a less-than-stellar signal). For one of my channels, (the one the wife wants to watch and always complains about) the atsc1 is broadcast from behind 2 mountain ranges, so I can only pick it up tropo, so usually get marginal reception at best, while the atsc3 is broadcast from one of the main towers that I can get line-of-site… so perfect reception… (that’s what inspired me to break down and get the SD flex receiver and abandon my tvheadend server with the hauppage card)

The Emby sever has no trouble transcoding it on-the-fly for my other non-ac4 capable devices, so should be able of doing the same for the Vero)

I’ve also asked about it over at the Emby forums about it setting up device detection profiles, as it seems like a documentation oversite to me (as in there isn’t any documentation on it)

Thanks for the insight.

Sam

An update from my discussions on the Emby forums:

Apparently, the Emby addons for Kodi do not make any use of the dlna profiles like the stand-alone emby clients do, and instead the addon directly instructs the Emby server via its api what to transcode or send direct, so any configuration would need to happen in the kodi addon, (which currently doesn’t have support for anything beyond a forcing a couple of video codecs to transcode, although the addon dev said he’d consider adding something for the audio). And if it really can be done via api call parameters, I might take a stab at implementing something along those lines myself, if I can find documentation on (or reverse engineer) Emby’s api sufficiently to try it.

Athough in truth, what I’d really want is an actual Emby PVR addon… (what they have now just dumps emby’s channel playlist and epg urls into Simple PVR, so doens’t include the recordings and scheduling part of the PVR).